chess; William Hartston
Tuesday 30 January 1996
Playing 20.Rd5! and 22.Nh5! (when 22...gxh5 is met by 23.Rg1+) set up the combination with 24.Rxc6! and 25.Qxa6! forcing the coronation of the d-pawn. At the end, 31...Kg7 32.Be5+ f6 3.Qd7+ wins easily for White.
M Adams - R Hubner:
1 e4 c5 17 Rhe1 Be7
2 c3 d5 18 d6 Bf6
3 exd5 Qxd5 19 d7+ Kf8
4 d4 Nf6 20 Rd5 g6
5 Nf3 Bg4 21 Bd6+ Kg8
6 Nbd2 Nc6 22 Nh5 Bg7
7 Bc4 Bxf3 23 Rxc5 Nc6
8 gxf3 Qg5 24 Rxc6 bxc6
9 Ne4 Qf5 25 Qxa6 Bh6+
10 Qe2 e6 26 f4 Rd8
11 Ng3 Qh3 27 Qc8 Qh4
12 d5 Nd8 28 Bc7 Rf8
13 Bb5+ Nd7 29 d8(Q) Qxh5
14 Bf4 a6 30 Qxf8+ Bxf8
15 Bxd7 Kxd7 31 Bd6 resigns
16 0-0-0 Ke8
Life & Style blogs
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained in Los Angeles after being mistaken for a prostitute
George Galloway on Scottish independence: The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Scottish independence: Britain faces 'constitutional crisis' at next election
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly
- 1 Amy Winehouse statue unveiled in Camden
- 2 Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
- 3 George Galloway on Scottish independence: The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
- 4 Headaches, fry ups, and hair of the dog - why do we get hangovers, and is there such thing as a 'cure'?
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
£50 - £65 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: We are looking for flexible and i...
£50 - £65 per annum: Randstad Education Leeds: We are looking for flexible and...
£130 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Qualified KS2 Supply Teacher r...
£130 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Qualified KS1 Teacher required,...