Wednesday 14 January 1998
There are those who think Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo is a tacky mix of ballet-bashing and cheap exploitation of an outdated gay stereotype. To which I say, "get a grip, Mary". When they dance Gaite Parisienne, the audience laugh like drains at jokes which exist in the original but you can bet your bottom dollar they wouldn't laugh that loudly at a "real" ballet company doing it, largely because the Trocks have far greater comic gifts. Last time they were here, Darcey Bussell could be heard squealing with delight at the balances and gasping with sympathy at each hop on pointe. Aside from being killingly funny, this drag dance outfit also exhibits dazzling dedication and remarkable technique. And don't forget to buy a programme to learn about Ida Nevasayneva, Olga Supphosova, Helen Highwaters and Colette Adae, not to mention Margaret Lowin-Octeyn DBE, a pillar of Stonehenge Ballet.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
£50000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: Senior Automation QA ...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£31000 - £43000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £45000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Lambeth...