Monday 12 January 1998
Lord David Cecil once summarised Jane Austen's line on the dilemma of 19th-century matrimony: it was wrong to marry for money, but silly to marry without it. There's a similar problem at the heart of Henry James's novel, now brought to a cinema screen near you (in case you hadn't noticed). As grey is the new brown (is the new black), Henry James is the next Jane Austen. Mind you, they said that about Joseph Conrad... Nostromo, anybody? The less-than-rapturous reception accorded to Jane Campion's Portrait of a Lady notwithstanding, James's impossibly fine prose - think Anita Brookner sans jokes - has been rendered into altogether more explicit images by screenwriter Hossein Amini and director Iain Softley. It's then left to Linus Roache and period fixture Helena Bonham Carter to make it flesh. For those who regard James's constrained, closeted imagery as sacrosanct, I should point out that the pun is intended. David Benedict
Life & Style blogs
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
£18000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Chiropractic Assistant is needed in a ...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides coaching ...