Thursday 09 April 1998
Wendy Craig and Bette Davis: together at last. You think I'm joking, don't you. I'm not. Pay out your good money and watch Wendy have a heart attack as Bette stars as 1965's answer to Louise Woodward. Foolish Wendy. If Bette Davis came to your door and offered to take care of your children, would you give her the job? After winning the hearts of the nation for a comedy career spent dispensing common sense, blinking in faintly hurt surprise and gasping breathily as the can't-cook-won't-cook mother in Butterflies and any number of other TV series, it's hard to imagine Wendy Craig in anything like a Hammer psycho-horror - but here she is. But then, don't forget she'd played in the Pinter-scripted The Servant for Joseph Losey, so she was no stranger to film. As for Davis, as Pauline Kael put it: if you can't dominate a picture with a good performance, dominate with a bad one.
Life & Style blogs
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This leading supplier of compliance software a...
£24000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Associate System Engineer r...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Executive Assistant is required to join a l...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...