Thursday 09 April 1998
Wendy Craig and Bette Davis: together at last. You think I'm joking, don't you. I'm not. Pay out your good money and watch Wendy have a heart attack as Bette stars as 1965's answer to Louise Woodward. Foolish Wendy. If Bette Davis came to your door and offered to take care of your children, would you give her the job? After winning the hearts of the nation for a comedy career spent dispensing common sense, blinking in faintly hurt surprise and gasping breathily as the can't-cook-won't-cook mother in Butterflies and any number of other TV series, it's hard to imagine Wendy Craig in anything like a Hammer psycho-horror - but here she is. But then, don't forget she'd played in the Pinter-scripted The Servant for Joseph Losey, so she was no stranger to film. As for Davis, as Pauline Kael put it: if you can't dominate a picture with a good performance, dominate with a bad one.
Life & Style blogs
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 3 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
£40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A reputable organisation within the leisure i...
£90 - £140 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: I am currently working in partnersh...
£96000 - £200000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Looking for a better earning p...
£32000 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A rapidly expanding company in ...