Friday 02 January 1998
Most people's image of a winner of the Nobel prize for literature is male, worthy and wizened. Dario Fo is only the first of these. He has been described as one of the funniest performers alive for his solo piece, Mistero Buffo. Fo is the man who put explosive comedy into political theatre with smash hits such as Accidental Death of an Anarchist, which conquered the West End of all places. The same happened with Can't Pay, Won't Pay. Klaxons, Trumpets and Raspberries is a new production from the (hideously named) Juggling Fiends, who made a splash with Graham Greene's The End of the Affair. The show first appeared here with Griff Rhys Jones in the hilarious double role of a Fiat boss who survives an assassination attempt thanks to a worker, but then mistakenly is given the worker's features during plastic surgery. You can only begin to guess the rest.
Life & Style blogs
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
£18000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Chiropractic Assistant is needed in a ...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides coaching ...