COMPETITION: DETAILS NO 396
Sunday 09 August 1998
DETAILS 394 came from William Dyce's Pegwell Bay, Recollection of October 5th, 1858 (1858-60). The picture is full of Victorian scientific curiosity: the bay was full of fossils; Donati's comet appears (briefly) in the sky. It's in the Tate Gallery.
The first three correct entries came from: G Pettit, Crawley, Sussex; G Hitchon, Watford; and E Wykes, Machynlleth, Powys. Each will receive a bottle of champagne, as will this week's winners. Answers, on a postcard, to arrive by Wed 12 Aug, to: DETAILS 396, Arts Desk, IoS, 1 Canada Square, London E14 5DL.
Life & Style blogs
'Timeless fashion': It may be a paradox, but the industry loves it
The brothel buster: Meet the man who gets paid to have sex with prostitutes
The secret to a great sex life revealed: Two cups of coffee a day
New exhibition celebrates the evolution of swimwear
Woman, 21, dies after taking contraceptive pill that 'caused fatal blood clot'
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Young Preston fan has play-off hero Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley - which then appears for sale on Gumtree
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...