COMPETITION: DETAILS NO 396
Sunday 09 August 1998
DETAILS 394 came from William Dyce's Pegwell Bay, Recollection of October 5th, 1858 (1858-60). The picture is full of Victorian scientific curiosity: the bay was full of fossils; Donati's comet appears (briefly) in the sky. It's in the Tate Gallery.
The first three correct entries came from: G Pettit, Crawley, Sussex; G Hitchon, Watford; and E Wykes, Machynlleth, Powys. Each will receive a bottle of champagne, as will this week's winners. Answers, on a postcard, to arrive by Wed 12 Aug, to: DETAILS 396, Arts Desk, IoS, 1 Canada Square, London E14 5DL.
Life & Style blogs
Men in tights: getting to the bottom of the latest trend
Snapchat removed the Best Friends list feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Night Nurse could put drivers over new drug limit
Stephen Hawking: NHS is Britain's finest public service and must be preserved from commercial interests
Baldness could soon be treated using stem cells, scientists hope
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
- 1 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 Rashida Jones speaks out against male-centric porn saying 'women should have sex and feel good about it'
£15000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Now our rapidly expanding and A...
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you passionate about great ...
£20000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This fast growing reinforcing s...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This fast growing reinforcing s...