Councillor censured for racist policy
Tuesday 12 July 1994
Poline Nyaga proposed the idea in a motion while chairman of the environmental
services committee on Brent council, north-west London.
It called for jobs 'currently filled by peoples of Asian-
origin who are not black under the council's current racial classification be replaced by black officers of African origin, but was defeated.
The Commission for Racial Equality said attempting to bring in the ruling was illegal and accused Nyaga of breaching the Race Relations Act.
Makbool Javaid, for the commission, told the tribunal 'that the conduct amounted to a breach of the Race Relations Act. Margorie Don, the tribunal chairman, agreed.
Nyaga quit the council at the local elections in May. She did not attend the hearing.
Life & Style blogs
British Muslim leaders outraged after Eric Pickles says followers of Islam should 'prove their identity'
UK terror fears: My jihadist son returned from Syria mentally scarred – now he is being ignored
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
Billy Crystal: 'Stop shoving gay sex scenes in my face'
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
David Cameron says anyone criticising Eric Pickles' letter to Muslims 'really has a problem'
- 1 Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 Nineteen-year-old student left gifts for parents before taking her own life
- 4 Deliberately urinating before sex can increase risk of urinary tract infections
- 5 Winston Churchill: From accusations of anti-Semitism to the blunt refusal that led to the deaths of millions
£15000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Fantastic opportunities are ava...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Compute Engineer is required to join a globa...
£25000 - £28000 per annum + 25 days holidays & pension: Ashdown Group: PHP Web...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Based in London, Manchester, Br...