Dirty Dogs Campaign: This foul mess: A poet protest
Sunday 30 January 1994
It Is An Offence
The man in the flats opposite keeps a whippet
(once a racer) and two or three times a week
it craps by my front door - sloped, weary turds
like a single file of slugs in battle fatigues
(surprisingly slow for a whippet) - so that often
my shoes, my wife's, our children's bring it back home
to the stairs, the skirting, the carpets, the kitchen tiles
in bobbles or flakes or hanks or outrageous slithery smears.
The sad old dog doesn't know what he's doing, and yet
I'd still like to cover his arsehole with quick-set cement.
I admit that I also yearn to leave my mark on society,
and not see machines or people trample it foolishly.
On the one hand it's only shit; on the other, shit's shit,
and what we desire in the world is less, not more, of it.
From Love in a Life (Faber pounds 6.99)
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Nelson Mandela life story: An unconquerable spirit
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
£450 - £500 per day: PCR Recruitment Limited: Broadcast Systems Architect - Fi...
£32,000 plus benefits: The Green Recruitment Company: Our client has experienc...
£32,000 plus benefits: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitment Co...
£55000 - £70000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: A well-known and renowned in...