Even if I was Batman, I wouldn't be cool all the time, says the writer of `Father Ted'
Tuesday 16 April 1996
For a moment, I seemed to forget who I was and almost shouted: "Get them!" What I thought the taxi driver and I might do if we caught up with them I dunno, although you can bet that there would be one or two stern words involved - harsh, wounding words like "little menace" and "tearaway", words that would send them away with something to think about, I can tell you. Sanity regained, but my imagination still doing cartwheels, I started to see myself in various dangerous situations, coming out of most of them doing very well, I have to say.
What if I was suddenly in a large building taken over by terrorists led by Alan Rickman? Would I be able to keep it together and engage the terrorists in a deadly game of cat and mouse? I had to say, looking at all the evidence, that yes, I would. I wouldn't wear a vest like the one Bruce Willis had because I don't think I'd look good in a vest. I think I'd wear a plain black T-shirt and black jeans. But apart from that I'd behave exactly as he did.
And if I was the marshall in a small seaside resort that was being terrorised by a giant shark, would I be able to hang on to the only part of the sinking boat still visible and shoot at the oxygen canister lodged in the animal's mouth? Again, I didn't see much of a problem. I'm actually a pretty good shot, as my recent imaginary showdown with the guy in the dress from Silence of the Lambs proved. All these fancies fail to take into account the fact that whenever I've been in any kind of physical danger in the past, I've run away as fast as my little legs could carry me. But even then, as the sound of derisive laughter dwindles behind me, I'm still thinking about how they'd be laughing on the other side of their faces if only they knew my true identity: Batman.
All right, I'm not Batman.
But if I was Batman would I be cool all the time? No. Even Batman can't be cool all the time. I have a lovely mental image of Batman having just received the Batmobile, getting all excited and beeping the horn. So I'll just have to be content with being cool 99 per cent of the time. Ninety- nine per cent of the time, of course, I'm either sleeping or staring out of the window. The remaining 1 per cent covers many things, all of which come under the banner marked "Interaction with Humans". After I'd finished flipping through my mental Rolodex of possible hijack situations, I came back to earth somewhat. What if, somehow, we did manage to catch up with those two kids? Would I be able to reason with them? Talk the language of the street and point them towards a better life?
And what if it got violent? I'm pretty tall, would I be able to take them? Two 12-year-olds?
Again no. Even if they had their hands tied behind their backs, even if I was wearing a black T-shirt and jeans or a vest, I'd somehow end up with a dustbin on my head. Heavily armed terrorists? No problem. A pair of bold children? You hold them off and I'll run for help.
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 6 will function as 'mobile wallet' following Apple deal with Visa - reports
Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
Is Apple's iCloud safe after leak of Jennifer Lawrence and other celebrities' nude photos?
Three quarters of the Ikea catalogue is CGI
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain
- 1 Emma Watson on Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak: 'Even worse than seeing women's privacy violated is reading the comments'
- 2 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Cee Lo Green: It is only rape if the victim is conscious
- 5 Nigerian witch-finder Helen Ukpabio threatens legal action against human rights organisations
£8 per hour: Randstad Education Leeds: The Job Creche Assistant to start asap ...
£8 per hour: Randstad Education Leeds: The Job Nursery Nurse Leeds We are now ...
£55000 - £65000 per annum: Harrington Starr: A Global Financial Service Organi...
£60000 - £70000 per annum: Harrington Starr: A prestigious leading professiona...