Thursday 18 December 1997
This hand-warmer from the oh-so-stylish Conran Shop (now with two London outlets) is one of those inventions that's both admirably lo-tech but also a shade dramatic anywhere but halfway up a snow-whipped mountain.
I mean, it's not as though a perfectly ordinary pair of gloves couldn't do the trick while you're waiting for the bus, or even rubbing your hands together. Furthermore, the Hand Warmer's instructions tell you to "vigorously manipulate it back and forth", the exertion of which, I suspect, does as much as the pack itself to defrost your digits.
But, still, there's something magical about generating heat from a bit of bendy plastic even if you're never quite going to make that solo assault on the South Pole.
pounds 6.95 from The Conran Shop 0171-589 7401
Life & Style blogs
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 3 Belgium fan Axelle Despiegelaere lands L'Oreal campaign after World Cup viral photo
- 4 Britney Spears sings 'Alien' without Auto-Tune in embarrassing leaked audio clip
- 5 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: My client, a FTSE 100 organisation are u...
£300 - £350 per day + competitive: Orgtel: My client, a leading bank, is curre...
£33000 per annum + pension, 25 days holiday: Ashdown Group: A highly successfu...
£28000 - £32000 per annum + pension, 25 days holiday: Ashdown Group: A highly ...