Annie Leibovitz, Damien Hirst and others create luxe travel bags for good cause
Monday 05 October 2009
To commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Red Cross, French luxe label Louis Vuitton has commissioned contemporary artists to create one-off pieces to be auctioned off at London's Sotheby's in November.
Working with the brand's iconic leather workshop in Asnières, just outside Paris (in business since 1859, another 150th birthday), celebrity chef Ferran Adrià, photographer Annie Leibovitz, musician Gustavo Santaolalla, painter Damien Hirst, fashion designer and Louis Vuitton's creative director Marc Jacobs, and family heir Patrick-Louis Vuitton all designed leather trunks and bags in line with the label's aesthetics.
Leibovitz chose to create a practical leather backpack, while Hirst designed a black trunk and Jacobs opted for a dog carrier (the designer owns two bull terriers).
The Sotheby's auction will take place on November 17 with all proceeds going to the Red Cross. Up to then, the items will be on show at exclusive viewings all over the world.
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
The magicians using online collaboration to push boundaries
Jennifer Lawrence attacks mass media again over body image
Life & Style blogs
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Ian Watkins: Police probed over earlier allegations as paedophile Lostprophets singer sentenced to 35 years for child sex offences
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber 'retiring from music'
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile
- < Previous
- Next >
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Capita Education Resou...
£39000 - £425000 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Newly Qualified ...
£30000 - £38001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A highly respecta...
£45 - £55 per day: Randstad Education Newcastle: Level 3 Teaching Assistant in...