Annie Leibovitz, Damien Hirst and others create luxe travel bags for good cause
Monday 05 October 2009
To commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Red Cross, French luxe label Louis Vuitton has commissioned contemporary artists to create one-off pieces to be auctioned off at London's Sotheby's in November.
Working with the brand's iconic leather workshop in Asnières, just outside Paris (in business since 1859, another 150th birthday), celebrity chef Ferran Adrià, photographer Annie Leibovitz, musician Gustavo Santaolalla, painter Damien Hirst, fashion designer and Louis Vuitton's creative director Marc Jacobs, and family heir Patrick-Louis Vuitton all designed leather trunks and bags in line with the label's aesthetics.
Leibovitz chose to create a practical leather backpack, while Hirst designed a black trunk and Jacobs opted for a dog carrier (the designer owns two bull terriers).
The Sotheby's auction will take place on November 17 with all proceeds going to the Red Cross. Up to then, the items will be on show at exclusive viewings all over the world.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 The difference between a migrant and refugee, in one sentence
- 2 Miley Cyrus calls out hypocrisy of women’s nipples being taboo
- 3 Celebrity Big Brother 2015: Tila Tequila kicked off show after 'describing Hitler as a good man'
- 4 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 5 iPhone 5c to be discontinued, no iPhone 6c to replace it
£18000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Executive or Senior Sal...
£40000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This industry leading company produces h...
£20000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This IT provider for the educat...