Asian model continues quest for more diversity in beauty and fashion
Tuesday 20 April 2010
Liu Wen, the Chinese model who also was the first Asian to ever walk a Victoria's Secret runway, has been signed as the first Asian face modeling for beauty giant Estée Lauder.
The move follows the diversity-endorsing campaign by Rimmel London, one of Lauder's competitors, which just tapped stars including the African American Solange Knowles and the Hispanic Alejandra Ramos Munoz as faces for the brand.
Diverse ethnicity and diverse body shape are big trends in beauty and fashion right now: French Vogue put Rose Cordero on its March issue, the first black cover model since 2002, and Lancôme hired Vietnamese-American YouTube beauty vlogger Michelle Phan as its official 'video make-up artist' and thus one of its most-seen public faces.
As for body shape, recent developments have seen French Elle publish a 'Spécial Rondes' (plus-size issue) at the end of last month, and so-called fashionistas, or plus-size fashion bloggers, are currently gaining popularity and influence on the web: for a good selection, visit Refinery29 at http://www.refinery29.com/our-plus-size-fashion-resource.php or The Guardian at http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2010/jan/30/fat-fashion-blogs.
Life & Style blogs
Apple expands reuse and recycle scheme, letting Android phones be swapped for iPhones
Replica Back to the Future Hoverboard released
When did the Eiffel Tower open to the public? Six things you didn't know about iconic structure
Pacman Google Maps: company offers chance to play classic arcade game on real streets
Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This leading supplier of compliance software a...
£24000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Associate System Engineer r...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Executive Assistant is required to join a l...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...