Asian model continues quest for more diversity in beauty and fashion
Tuesday 20 April 2010
Liu Wen, the Chinese model who also was the first Asian to ever walk a Victoria's Secret runway, has been signed as the first Asian face modeling for beauty giant Estée Lauder.
The move follows the diversity-endorsing campaign by Rimmel London, one of Lauder's competitors, which just tapped stars including the African American Solange Knowles and the Hispanic Alejandra Ramos Munoz as faces for the brand.
Diverse ethnicity and diverse body shape are big trends in beauty and fashion right now: French Vogue put Rose Cordero on its March issue, the first black cover model since 2002, and Lancôme hired Vietnamese-American YouTube beauty vlogger Michelle Phan as its official 'video make-up artist' and thus one of its most-seen public faces.
As for body shape, recent developments have seen French Elle publish a 'Spécial Rondes' (plus-size issue) at the end of last month, and so-called fashionistas, or plus-size fashion bloggers, are currently gaining popularity and influence on the web: for a good selection, visit Refinery29 at http://www.refinery29.com/our-plus-size-fashion-resource.php or The Guardian at http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2010/jan/30/fat-fashion-blogs.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 2 Question Time's 'passionate highlander' is the William Wallace of the Better Together campaign
- 3 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 4 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: My client, a FTSE 100 organisation are u...
£300 - £350 per day + competitive: Orgtel: My client, a leading bank, is curre...
£33000 per annum + pension, 25 days holiday: Ashdown Group: A highly successfu...
£28000 - £32000 per annum + pension, 25 days holiday: Ashdown Group: A highly ...