Brioni fashion label to close women's line
Friday 26 August 2011
Italian couturier Brioni said Wednesday it was closing down its women's line and ending its contract with designer Alessandro Dell'Acqua to concentrate on its men's collection.
"The decision was necessary to re-focus resources on the menswear business, which has recently become more competitive and global," said the luxury label - a favourite with stars like Pierce Brosnan, Cary Grant and Al Pacino.
Founded in Rome in 1945, the label had over 300 shops across the world by the 1990s and began expanding successfully into womenswear, signing up the Neapolitan Dell'Acqua in May 2010.
The announcement comes after a month of rumours that Brioni was planning to close down its women's line under pressure from luxury conglomerate PPR, which is in talks to buy the brand.
In its statement, the label denied the move had "any link" with the rumours.
Life & Style blogs
Video shows how to turn your phone into a 3D hologram
Gill Pharaoh: Healthy former nurse, 75, passes away at assisted dying clinic after deciding old age is 'awful'
NHS hospitals told not to fill vacancies as cash crisis bites
Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Sabrina Corgatelli: US hunting tourist posts picture of herself with dead giraffe after Cecil the lion outrage
- 2 Edward Heath 'child sex abuse' allegation: Investigation to be held into Wiltshire police handling of alleged claim in the 1990s
- 3 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 4 A-level results 2015: UK exam board OCR admits it 'estimates' hundreds of pupils' grades after papers 'go missing'
- 5 Giant Minion terrorises drivers in Ireland as 40ft inflatable blocks busy Dublin road
£22000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Garden Centre complex base...
£36000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Buyer is required to join thi...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £45K: SThree: SThree Group have been well esta...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £45000: SThree: SThree Group have been well es...