California beauty wins Miss USA pageant
Monday 20 June 2011
California beauty Alyssa Campanella won the 2011 Miss USA pageant in Las Vegas on Sunday, beating out her competition for a spot in the Miss Universe pageant in Brazil in September.
Alyssa Campanella, 21, this year's Miss California, took home the crown at the event held at the Planet Hollywood Casino Resort in Las Vegas, Nevada.
She had earlier wowed the judges parading in a turquoise gown, and a polka dot bikini, and had answered about marijuana legalization during the question and answer section of the pageant.
"I understand why that question would be asked, especially with today's economy, but I also understand that medical marijuana is very important to help those who need it medically," Campanella said, reported ABC News."
"I'm not sure if it should be legalized, if it would really affect, with the drug war. I mean, it's abused today, unfortunately, so that's the only reason why I would kind of be a little bit against it, but medically it's OK," she said.
Campanella came ahead of this year's Miss Tennessee, Ashley Durham, and will represent the United States at the Miss Universe competition in Sao Paulo, scheduled to be held September 12.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Eurovision 2015: Graham Norton returns with another cutting commentary - his best lines
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Eurovision 2015 winner: Sweden beats Russia and Italy to take title from Conchita Wurst
- 4 Mother 'will allow son's circumcision in return for release from prison'
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...