Christopher Kane wins $320,000 fashion prize
Wednesday 02 February 2011
British designer Christopher Kane has been announced as the winner of the British Fashion Council/
Vogue Designer Fashion Fund, receiving £200,000 ($320,000) and industry mentoring for a year.
London-based Kane, who follows in Erdem's footsteps, beat out E. Tautz, Nicholas Kirkwood, Osman Yousefzada, Charlotte Olympia, Jonathan Saunders, and Peter Pilotto in this second edition of the competition.
Inspired by the US Vogue Designer Fashion Fund, the prize was inaugurated last year with a jury including British Vogue editor Alexandra Shulman and Joan Burstein, a buyer for the Browns department store.
Critical commentators will argue that designers such as Yousefzada or Pilotto would have needed the support more than Kane who counts the likes of designer Donatella Versace or US Vogue editor Anna Wintour among his most loyal fans. A similar debate was waged when industry darling Hakaan won the French ANDAM prize last year.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 3 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
- 4 Hip hop is both racial and political, and for Iggy Azalea to suggest otherwise is insulting
- 5 Man hospitalised with pneumonia after downing eggnog at office Christmas party
£20000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This full service social media ...
£24000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: We are 'Changemakers in retail'...
Very Competitive: Austen Lloyd: Senior Conveyancer - South West We are see...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: DORSET MARKET TOWN - SENIOR PROPERTY SOLICITOR...