Company invents once-and-for-all sizing machine
Friday 29 April 2011
Out of her own "frustration" with shopping, businesswoman Tanya Shaw has come up with a whole-body scanner that records all your measurements to end all sizing dilemmas.
Placed only in US malls for the moment, the futuristic cabin scans every centimeter of the motivated shopper, printing out a "report card" of a combined 200,000 measurements, which are matched to what the mall's brands - so far including Levi's, DKNY Jeans, Gap, and Guess, among others - have in store.
Armed with this guide, shoppers can then let salespeople point them directly to the right items - a godsend as anyone who has ever looked for the perfect jeans will confirm.
The service, called My Best Fit, is free for customers and financed through brands paying the moment they're recommended. They can't, however, pay in order to be recommended.
Sounds too good to be true? Maybe. Fashion blog Styleite rightly criticizes that "there's a difference between something [being] fitting and something being flattering - and just because a pair of jeans are the right size, it doesn't mean they're the best pair for you."
The first My Best Fit scanner can be found at the King of Prussia mall in Pennsylvania, but Shaw plans to install 13 more by the end of the year, and 400 more in the coming two-and-a-half years.
Watch a demonstration at http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Consumer/.
Life & Style blogs
Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
Snapchat got rid of the Best Friends feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Hershey's angers US chocolate purists by forcing company to stop importing 'yummy' Cadbury bars
Food secrets: the good, the bad...and the faeces
Pot of gold: tasting the world’s most expensive tea
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: This post arises as a result of the need to...
£120 - £150 per annum: Tradewind Recruitment: I am recruiting on instruction o...
£70000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Finance - Financial Controller - Fina...
£24000 - £28000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Marketing Executive - Wim...