Fall/Winter trends: rich fabrics with a modern twist
Wednesday 24 August 2011
Whether it's the season's recurrent velvet, leather, or fur - these new interpretations will keep you from looking passé.
Leather comes in all shapes and sizes this fall - be it a soft coat in unexpected colors such as Valentino's teal version or a little black dress like Arzu Kaprol's that was a far cry from dominatrix clichés. Pairing leather with metallic accents, as Gareth Pugh did, for instance, also changes its feel immediately.
Fur is back in a big way this winter, with many designers offering fake options. But while a full fur coat is timeless, a modern update comes courtesy of Louis Vuitton, Versace, Burberry, and Miu Miu who only integrated fur elements into their looks - sleeves, collars, caps, and even belts, respectively. Roland Mouret showed fur boleros, which also makes for a lighter feel.
Finally, expect velvet to be everywhere on this season's store racks - opting for hot red mini dresses for the evening, as seen at Dior, or going for a floral-printed version like Ashley Isham's will keep you looking up-to-date.
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 5C could be killed next year, and Apple’s cheap and cheerful line might die with it
Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
Coke milk? Coca-Cola to launch premium milk brand called Fairlife
Black Friday: Best fashion deals -online and on the high-street
UK's first plus-size fashion magazine Slink hits the shelves: 'Style doesn't stop at size 8'
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings: Ridley Scott never considered casting 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he'd killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: SURREY MARKET TOWN - SENIOR PROPERTY SOLICITOR...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: What do you want to do with your career? Do yo...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This company is a leading expert in immunoassa...