Fall/Winter trends: travel the decades with the season's hottest hairstyles
Wednesday 24 August 2011
Starting with 1940s-inspired quiffs, moving on to 1960s Brigitte Bardot hair all the way to 1970s hippie locks and 1990s grunge styles, this fall is perfect for time travel.
YouTube abounds with new tutorials on retro hairstyles, quiffs of all sorts, and how to achieve the perfect vintage curl, thanks to looks seen at designers' Fall/Winter shows, including that of Antonio Marras.
The Swinging Sixties are set for a fall comeback, with Rochas having debuted a Bardot-esque bed head, Gaultier styling his models in beehives, and Lagerfeld pairing similar looks with glittering headbands. The decade's high hair also remains popular, as seen at Ruffian among many others.
Middle parts as seen in the 1970s will go well with fall's flared jeans, but make sure to keep your tresses slick and straight for a more modern look, as did the stylists of Blumarine's show.
Labels including Lanvin demonstrated that bangs will still be big this fall, while curls are best sported in the shape of a short, bouncy bob (see Dior) - but the one hairstyle that will show everyone you did your fashion homework is the long loose side braid à la Alexander Wang or Emilio Pucci.
Life & Style blogs
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
Mother fed her daughter tapeworms to make her skinny for pageant
Doctors tell Treasury of their anger at rejection of pay reviews
Jeremy Hunt to reform hospital parking rules
Victoria’s Secret says tickets for the London fashion show are not for 'sale' - but seats are still available for £10k
- 1 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 2 West poised to join forces with President Assad in face of Islamic State
- 3 Mother fed her daughter tapeworms to make her skinny for pageant
- 4 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 5 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
£30000 - £45000 per annum: Harrington Starr: A global investment management fi...
£65000 - £75000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Senior Network Engineer-(CCIE, CC...
£70000 - £80000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Senior Network Analyst - (CCIE, C...
£60000 - £80000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Senior Network Engineer-(Design, ...