Fall/Winter trends: travel the decades with the season's hottest hairstyles
Wednesday 24 August 2011
Starting with 1940s-inspired quiffs, moving on to 1960s Brigitte Bardot hair all the way to 1970s hippie locks and 1990s grunge styles, this fall is perfect for time travel.
YouTube abounds with new tutorials on retro hairstyles, quiffs of all sorts, and how to achieve the perfect vintage curl, thanks to looks seen at designers' Fall/Winter shows, including that of Antonio Marras.
The Swinging Sixties are set for a fall comeback, with Rochas having debuted a Bardot-esque bed head, Gaultier styling his models in beehives, and Lagerfeld pairing similar looks with glittering headbands. The decade's high hair also remains popular, as seen at Ruffian among many others.
Middle parts as seen in the 1970s will go well with fall's flared jeans, but make sure to keep your tresses slick and straight for a more modern look, as did the stylists of Blumarine's show.
Labels including Lanvin demonstrated that bangs will still be big this fall, while curls are best sported in the shape of a short, bouncy bob (see Dior) - but the one hairstyle that will show everyone you did your fashion homework is the long loose side braid à la Alexander Wang or Emilio Pucci.
Life & Style blogs
Kylie Jenner challenge: Strange lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
International Space Station could be fitted with huge lasers to shoot down space junk
Loch Ness Monster: Google Maps unveils Doodle and Nessie Street View
Coachella Festival 2015: from Kendall Jenner to Alexa Chung, stars and festival-goers parade their boho best
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor David Dinsmore reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Parma, Missouri: 80 per cent of town's police quit after first black mayor is elected
- 4 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
- 5 Google search history can now be downloaded in its entirety, mass embarrassment expected
£22000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An SEO Account Manager is requi...
£35-45K (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a .NET Developer / Web ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Commercial Manager is required to join a lea...
£18000 - £19000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you looking for your first ...