Fall/Winter trends: travel the decades with the season's hottest hairstyles
Sunday 04 September 2011
Starting with 1940s-inspired quiffs, moving on to 1960s Brigitte Bardot hair all the way to 1970s hippie locks and 1990s grunge styles, this fall is perfect for time travel.
YouTube abounds with new tutorials on retro hairstyles, quiffs of all sorts, and how to achieve the perfect vintage curl, thanks to looks seen at designers' Fall/Winter shows, including that of Antonio Marras.
The Swinging Sixties are set for a fall comeback, with Rochas having debuted a Bardot-esque bed head, Gaultier styling his models in beehives, and Lagerfeld pairing similar looks with glittering headbands. The decade's high hair also remains popular, as seen at Ruffian among many others.
Middle parts as seen in the 1970s will go well with fall's flared jeans, but make sure to keep your tresses slick and straight for a more modern look, as did the stylists of Blumarine's show.
Labels including Lanvin demonstrated that bangs will still be big this fall, while curls are best sported in the shape of a short, bouncy bob (see Dior) - but the one hairstyle that will show everyone you did your fashion homework is the long loose side braid à la Alexander Wang or Emilio Pucci.
Life & Style blogs
Resurgence of TB poses grave threat worldwide
UK branded an 'Enemy of the Internet' for the first time by Reporters Without Borders
25 years of the World Wide Web: Tim Berners-Lee explains how it all began
GIF inventor Steve Wilhite says it should be pronounced 'jif'
'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: Our client operates within the healthcare...
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: Our client is a tech start up within the ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Cardiff: Randstad Education are currently seeki...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Cardiff: Randstad Education Cardiff are current...