Agenda: Caracalla 1947 bag; Rebel Wilson; Barlowered; gifts for the 12 days of Christmas
Sunday 09 December 2012
Fashion: Depeche Mode
Motorsport fans looking for a style formula (one) should drive themselves to the internet forthwith and root out leather-goods label Caracalla 1947.
Taking its name from the Rome circuit where Ferrari won its first race, the label pays homage to racing history with goods inspired by the team colours and sleek style of the cars from Formula 1 and beyond. We are particularly revved up by their Monza Weekend holdall, available in a range of colours, such as the Mercedes Benz-inspired silver version below. £420, caracalla1947.com
The young aussie was a scene-stealer as Kristen Wiig’s dysfunctional housemate in Bridesmaids and is now set to confirm her place among Hollywood’s top funnywomen with her lead role in this month’s choral comedy Pitch Perfect..
When a celebrity with a tendency towards the cruise-ship crooner blindly supports a contestant with a tendency towards the cruise-ship crooner, thereby diminishing a talent show’s standards.
Match the tweet to the star
Simon Cowell, Nicole Scherzinger, Simon Le Bon, Joan Collins
1. Watching mr poppers penguins again. I love this film. I really do want a pet penguin
2. “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” Robert Frost
3. Hope Dave pulls off his desire not to be bullied into giving more cash to bloated EU budget, we should get out of the bureaucratic farce
4. Wot if the ad agencies were running some kind of sub sonic thang to make the adverts “sexee” which blows all TV speaker cones?
Social media ain’t always very beneficial to your social life, ironically, so three cheers for this new events calendar program, which allows you to schedule meetings and parties with your friends, family and colleagues away from the digital white noise of Facebook and Twitter. Free from iTunes store and Google Play.
On The Radar: Because some things are still worth getting excited about...
MAGNUM SCREEN IDOLS
Expect to be star-struck by this exhibition of the photo agency’s (see feature, page 18) film archive, featuring legends from Dean to Monroe. 99 Mount Street Gallery, London W1, to 31 Dec
Give a loved one a musical missive with Rough Trade’s new range of postcards which double as bona-fide vinyl records, including the likes of “Let’s Stay Together” and “I Put a Spell On You”. roughtrade.com
HOUSE OF CARDS
The US rarely hits the jackpot when remaking UK TV shows, but David Fincher’s translation of the BBC political thriller, with Kevin Spacey in the lead, could be a rare ace. It premieres on Netflix in February. bit.ly/SsGmX1
Life & Style blogs
Guest post by Richard Sexton, business development director of e.surv chartered surveyors
Plus lateral thinking and living on London's waterways
Other popular areas include Didsbury, Clifton in Bristol, central Cambridge and West Bridgford
Living with Google Glass: what are they actually like to wear?
Microsoft's Xbox One: Have the price (£399) and release date (30 November) been leaked by online retailer Zavvi?
Splint made by 3D printer used to save baby’s life
The 10 Best road-trip gadgets
Xbox One vs PlayStation 4: Why Microsoft's console name game just doesn't add up
- 1 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.