Agenda: Designer stockings; Samantha Barks; Four Stories; Tracey Emin; WigWamBam
Sunday 02 December 2012
Fashion: Stocking up for Christmas
At any other time of year, "designer stockings" would mean racy fishnets. But top fashion houses have turned their hand to reinventing the humble Christmas stocking for Selfridges. Ranging from Barbour's quilted sock (£30) to Karl Lagerfeld's crystal-embellished shoe (£200) and Maison Martin Margiela's hand-painted boot (£860) these are far too fancy to risk hanging above the fire. Available only at Selfridges, selfridges.com
Face to watch: Samantha Barks
She might have lost out on the role of Nancy in the BBC's I'd Do Anything but now Samantha Barks is playing Eponine in the Les Misérables movie, alongside Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman (out 13 January). In your face, Lloyd Webber!
Match the tweet to the star
Emma Watson, Frank Ocean, Henry Holland, Taylor Swift
1. Time to play my nightly game of "where are the light switches in this hotel room?"
2. life rule #99: never google one's self
3. I never feel so accomplished as when I open a tough jar
4. My cab driver is wearing Joop! For Men and as a result may soon be wearing my lunch
Answers at the bottom of the page
App watch: Battle Castles
History Buffs will be in raptures over this interactive spin-off app from Dan Snow's TV series. Featuring a timeline of 500 years of castles, knights and siege warfare, you can take a 360-degree spin round top turrets, watch footage of castles being built and learn how to shoot a crossbow. Could come in handy. £6.99, iTunes store
Lexpionage: Christ-mess, n.
The unique state you tend to find yourself in the morning after the office Christmas party. More than just a hangover, it's a cruel mixture of shame, dread and asking yourself, 'How believable is it if I call in sick today?'
On the radar
Because some things are still worth getting excited about…
Film: Four Stories
Spot the next big thing in movie-making by watching the winning entries from Roman Coppola's short-film competition featuring Jason Schwartzman and judged by Chloë Sevigny. youtube.com/fourstories
Art: Tracey Emin
Looking for a gift for the YBA fan in your life? Tracey Emin's shop is now online and features affordable tote bags, egg cups and even an Emin-designed Christmas bauble. From £12, emininternational.com
This east London pop-up tipi has a fire pit for toasting marshmallows and serves up gamey treats such as wild-boar sausages.All washed down with a hot buttered rum. Until March, queenofhoxton.com
Match the tweet: 1. Taylor Swift; 2. Emma Watson; 3. Frank Ocean; 4. Henry Holland.
Life & Style blogs
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The spring menswear season has only just begun, but I've already started to get deep and meaningful....
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£30000 - £35000 per annum: May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're an ambi...
£43000 - £50000 per annum + £5K Car Allowance + Bens : May & Stephens Recrui...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + Bens : May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're...
£16000 - £23000 per annum + OTE £23k - £45k: Connex Education: Connex Educatio...