Agenda: MC Nicki Minaj; Sarah Winman; Strange Rain; #Meateasy; Born this Way; Rubber
Sunday 30 January 2011
Fashion: step aside, Gaga
Cometh the new year, cometh the new post-Warholian pop starlet. When Nicki Minaj made a recent visit to the capital, her newly assembled fan army caused such a hubbub that the Trinidad-born MC found herself ejected from the Dorchester. We suspect her ability to inspire hyena-pitched shrieks rests less on her serviceable R&B tunes than on her assiduously understated wigs and bubble-gum sci-fi couture. It's a fine line between quirky and quirksome, but this Barbie-rella's got it made.
Face to watch: Sarah Winman
It's a novel move, indeed, for Winman, an ex-Holby City star now sitting pretty on the new annual Waterstone's hotlist of first-time authors. Likenened to Lorrie Moore and John Irving, her debut When God Was a Rabbit is out in March.
Lexpionage: Hackarazzi, n.
News gatherers – rogue or otherwise – who employ underhand techniques to intercept celebrities' mobile-phone calls and messages then present their details as good old-fashioned EXCLUSIVES!!!
Social networking: Match the tweet to the star
Simon Pegg, Jonathan Ross, Armistead Maupin, Joan Rivers...
1. Joan Crawford would have killed for Twitter
2. I am back in NYC and couldn't be happier. I love a city where I pay more to park my car each month than my parents paid for their house
3. Tragically, I am sober
4. The inability of some to recognise the fact that there is more than one time zone on this planet beggars belief
Answers at the bottom of the page
App watch#3: Strange Rain
This wondrous curio turns your iPhone or iPad into a skylight on a rain-drenched day. Pitch and roll your device to catch splodges of synthesised raindrops or switch to "whispers" mode to see raindrops morph into words as they fall. An oddly cathartic experience that proves practicality is overrated. £1.19 from iTunes
On the radar: Because some things are still worth getting excited about...
Heston, pfff... for a true buzz bite, we suggest hotfooting it to this guerrilla burger joint in London's New Cross run by famed Meatwagon founder Yianni Papoutsis. The patty paradise is open until mid-March
Web: Born this Way
Following last year's "It Gets Better..." project, this rather wondrous blog (borngaybornthisway.blogspot.com) compiles childhood photos and stories from gay people across the world. Melanie Phillips, this one's for you
Thought you'd heard all the crackpot B-movie concepts there were? Well you hadn't counted on this French horror about a homicidal tyre. Directed by one-hit-DJ Mr Oizo, no less. See the trailer at tinyurl.com/4z2vzkj
MATCH THE TWEET: 1. ARMISTEAD MAUPIN; 2. JOAN RIVERS; 3. JONATHAN ROSS; 4. SIMON PEGG..
Life & Style blogs
Max power: Nine ways to make your everyday meals more flavourful
Amputee drummer gains 'superhuman' skills with robotic arm
Livr: A social network only for drunk people
Fenwicks department store withdraws Boy London clothing over 'Nazi' eagle logo complaints
International Women's Day 2014: Animated Google Doodle shows 80 second video of inspirational women from across the world
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Too upsetting? Academy members voted for Oscar-winning 12 Years A Slave 'without watching it'
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A small but growing chain of boutique hot...
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: The company works with Tier 1 FTSE 100 Ba...
£45 - 60k Per Annum: Charter Selection: Highly profitable leisure brand, marke...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Residenti...