Agenda: Pattern Power; Robert DeLong; Little Social; Let's All Be Free; Hannah Brown
Sunday 31 March 2013
Fashion: Learn your stripes
We've always loved the motif motivation provided by Patternity, the "pattern consultancy" whose picture blog is a thing of fashion-world renown. And now design duo Anna Murray and Grace Winteringham are forging further connections with Pattern Power, a series of talks and events exploring pattern in all its guises. This year's inaugural jamboree focuses on stripes, and includes everything from science lectures to stripey-jelly-making classes. 6 to 21 April, London Newcastle Project Space, London E2, patternpower.eventbrite.co.uk
Face to watch: Robert DeLong
This Seattle electronica whizkid employs instruments including video-game controllers and has power-up tunes: check out upcoming single "Global Concepts", currently picking up considerable radio love. bit.ly/YBkWtt
Social networking: Match the tweet to the star
Al Murray, Jamie Cullum, Ellen Page, Chris Evans
1. Monkey Business, Howard Hawks.
2. "Was that you playing drums just now?" "Yes that why it stopped when I came downstairs to answer the door" "Oh"
3. Ear ear. Still the funky left ear is driving me crazy paving.
4. Realizing I pack like an 8 year old that is running away from home
Answers at the bottom of the page
App watch: Smoking TM
Unfortunately we can't vouch for the quality of the Smoking Time Machine app, given that we haven't yet pushed through our fear of it; but basically it will modify smokers' photos to show how their good looks will be ravaged by the effects of fags over time. Look, we only do it socially OK? Free from iTunes and Google Play
Lexpionage: Eggocentrism, n.
The stage in a child's development characterised by lack of awareness that other people's points of view differ from their own, e.g. that not all the Easter eggs discovered on a 'hunt' belong to them
On the radar: Because some things are still worth getting excited about…
Food: Little Social
Given the only drawback of Jason Atherton's Pollen Street Social is the price, we are most excited by the opening of this affordable bistro offshoot, which is generating strong buzz. 5 Pollen Street, London W1, littlesocial.co.uk
Film: Let's All Be Free
Consider the concept of freedom at this new human-rights-oriented festival featuring guests including documentarian Kim Longinotto and a sterling shorts bill. SOAS, London WC1, Friday to Sunday, letsallbefree.com
Interiors: Hannah Brown
Go au naturalist for springtime with this designer's biological wall art, including framed antique microscope slides, sea fans, pressed leaves and orchids. hannahbrowninteriors.co.uk
Match the tweet: 1. Jamie Cullum; 2. Al Murray; 3. Chris Evans; 4. Ellen Page.
Life & Style blogs
Britain's kitchens so filthy that they present a health risk, says new research
Fashion Revolution Day: wear your clothes inside out and ask #whomademyclothes to support worker welfare
The world's first edible garden of cake
How to turn off/stop 'seen by' on Facebook: Disable it to make your chats seem less passive aggressive
KickassTorrents down: new Isle of Man domain taken offline just hours after launch
- 1 Bruce Jenner's 'Interview of the year': Suicidal thoughts, rejection by family members and new wardrobe
- 2 Sofyen Belamouadden murder: The inside story of a crime that horrified Britain
- 3 How to turn off/stop 'seen by' on Facebook: Disable it to make your chats seem less passive aggressive
- 4 'We're not heroes, just tourists': Swedish police officers on holiday stop vicious assault on New York subway
- 5 Buckingham Palace guard who attacked passers-by in 'most most violent piece of CCTV footage' police officer had seen walks free
£22000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company is part of a Group...
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you a a young, dynamic pers...
Voluntary: Cancer Research UK: We’re looking for someone to support our award ...
£70000 - £90000 per annum + bonus + car allowance + benefits: Ashdown Group: H...