Agenda: Pattern Power; Robert DeLong; Little Social; Let's All Be Free; Hannah Brown
Sunday 31 March 2013
Fashion: Learn your stripes
We've always loved the motif motivation provided by Patternity, the "pattern consultancy" whose picture blog is a thing of fashion-world renown. And now design duo Anna Murray and Grace Winteringham are forging further connections with Pattern Power, a series of talks and events exploring pattern in all its guises. This year's inaugural jamboree focuses on stripes, and includes everything from science lectures to stripey-jelly-making classes. 6 to 21 April, London Newcastle Project Space, London E2, patternpower.eventbrite.co.uk
Face to watch: Robert DeLong
This Seattle electronica whizkid employs instruments including video-game controllers and has power-up tunes: check out upcoming single "Global Concepts", currently picking up considerable radio love. bit.ly/YBkWtt
Social networking: Match the tweet to the star
Al Murray, Jamie Cullum, Ellen Page, Chris Evans
1. Monkey Business, Howard Hawks.
2. "Was that you playing drums just now?" "Yes that why it stopped when I came downstairs to answer the door" "Oh"
3. Ear ear. Still the funky left ear is driving me crazy paving.
4. Realizing I pack like an 8 year old that is running away from home
Answers at the bottom of the page
App watch: Smoking TM
Unfortunately we can't vouch for the quality of the Smoking Time Machine app, given that we haven't yet pushed through our fear of it; but basically it will modify smokers' photos to show how their good looks will be ravaged by the effects of fags over time. Look, we only do it socially OK? Free from iTunes and Google Play
Lexpionage: Eggocentrism, n.
The stage in a child's development characterised by lack of awareness that other people's points of view differ from their own, e.g. that not all the Easter eggs discovered on a 'hunt' belong to them
On the radar: Because some things are still worth getting excited about…
Food: Little Social
Given the only drawback of Jason Atherton's Pollen Street Social is the price, we are most excited by the opening of this affordable bistro offshoot, which is generating strong buzz. 5 Pollen Street, London W1, littlesocial.co.uk
Film: Let's All Be Free
Consider the concept of freedom at this new human-rights-oriented festival featuring guests including documentarian Kim Longinotto and a sterling shorts bill. SOAS, London WC1, Friday to Sunday, letsallbefree.com
Interiors: Hannah Brown
Go au naturalist for springtime with this designer's biological wall art, including framed antique microscope slides, sea fans, pressed leaves and orchids. hannahbrowninteriors.co.uk
Match the tweet: 1. Jamie Cullum; 2. Al Murray; 3. Chris Evans; 4. Ellen Page.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Poveglia: 'World's most haunted island' up for auction...is anyone brave enough to buy it?
- 2 Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave
- 3 Naked yoga: the bare truth - it's already big in the US, and has now landed here
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Scientists warn we've hit 'peak beard': The more people grow facial hair, the less attractive it is
£26K-30k + Bonus, Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension: Charter Selectio...
£25K-28k + Bonus, Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension: Charter Selectio...
£50000 - £65000 Per Annum potentially flexible for the right candidate: Clearw...
£38000 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Do you have experience of ...