Agenda: Spencer's shoe shop; Nick Helm; Natural Wine Fair; Calvin Harris; Sew Over It
Sunday 08 May 2011
Fashion: Full marks for Spencer
Lamb's Conduit Street in London's Bloomsbury is home to several fashion hotspots – Folk and Oliver Spencer can be found here, alongside trendy co-op the People's Supermarket and literary ladies' haven Persephone Books. The latest addition is Spencer's shoe shop: the preppy menswear brand has doubled in size over the past year and Spencer has worked with ex-Liberty buyer Simon Spiteri on his footwear venture. Brilliant, we say, for giving us another place on our bodies to wear Spencer's delicious designs. oliverspencer.co.uk
Face to watch: Nick Helm
This raspingly voiced "car crash of light entertainment" has made an assured impact with his brashly unhinged stand-up. Catch him doing the festival rounds at Latitude and Sonisphere in advance of his new Edinburgh show Dare to Dream
Lexpionage: Conspirituality, n.
The never-more prevalent state of being dedicated to conspiracy theories; the Facebook and Daily Express-assisted means by which a seemingly measured soul may discover their paranoid essence
Social networking: Match the tweet to the star
Bette Midler, Steve Martin, Jim Carrey, Chuck D
1. Slow news day
2. Roaming the streets of NYC tonight, a little melancholic. You know, the kind of lonesome that feels necessary because it's when wishes are born
3. Terrible script
4. Let's talk about the PM who also could have used some tailoring, big time!! And people, POSTURE, POSTURE, POSTURE!!!
Answers at the bottom of the page
App watch #17: Photosynth
You needn't be an avaricious Hollywood suit to become part of the 3D revolution with this new Microsoft program, which allows the modern vacationer to stitch their snaps together to create virtual panoramas – and so relive the good, the bad, and the stag weekend at their immersive leisure. Free from iTunes store
On the radar: Because some things are still worth getting excited about...
Food & drink: Natural Wine Fair
With "natural" the buzzword on every oenophile's lips, head to Borough Market for a taster of the organically minded movement at this gathering of 100-plus producers. 15-17 May, thenaturalwinefair.com
Music: Calvin Harris
Throw sophistication to the wind as the Scottish DJ ushers in the season for galumphing dance music with "Bounce", a typically irresistible house-pop anthem featuring Kelis on vocal duties. bit.ly/msv7io
Shopping: Sew Over It
Newly opened in south London, this sewing school, shop and café from entrepreneur Lisa Comfort is exactly the kind of seamless concept that we crafty types have been waiting for. sewoverit.co.uk
Match the tweet: 1. Steve Martin; 2. Jim Carrey; 3. Chuck D; 4. Bette Midler
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Turning up the voice of America
- 2 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 An obsessive’s documenting of Israeli war crimes in Lebanon can show us how the West lost respect for international law
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
£700 - £800 per day: Harrington Starr: Data Warehouse Programme Manager (SQL, ...
£700 - £800 per day: Harrington Starr: Technical Programme Manager, (Static Da...
£42000 - £46500 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Big 4 Opportunity...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: MI Reporting Developer Oracle, SQL, PL...