Cultural Life: Wayne Hemingway, fashion designer
Friday 15 May 2009
'The Spirit Level: Why More Equal Societies Almost Always Do Better' by Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett is a must-read for anyone with a social conscience, about the damaging effect of inequality in rich countries.
The reason I have a TV is to watch England play cricket, and Blackburn Rovers play football. I loved 'Top Dogs: Adventures In War, Sea And Ice' on BBC2, in which three incredible men, Sir Ranulph Fiennes, John Simpson and Sir Robin Knox-Johnston, engaged in courageous expeditions. This is reality TV as it should be – no empty-headed celebrity wannabes here.
One of the indulgences of our house is a handy home cinema. Sky Movies Indie is great; I tend to video 10 films a week. I could watch 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid' until the cows come home.
Soul singer Nicole Willis is brilliant; she makes Duffy and Adele look anodyne. Much music today lacks integrity.
Wayne Hemingway & Son – Sculpture Remixed is part of the DLA Piper Series: This Is Sculpture at Tate Liverpool, (0151-702 7400; www.artinliverpool.com)
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 4 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 5 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This firm are focussed on assis...
£7 per hour: Recruitment Genius: A vacancy has arisen for a General Processor ...
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A great opportunity has arisen ...
£14000 - £16000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Full time and Part time positio...