Cultural Life: Wayne Hemingway, fashion designer
Friday 15 May 2009
'The Spirit Level: Why More Equal Societies Almost Always Do Better' by Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett is a must-read for anyone with a social conscience, about the damaging effect of inequality in rich countries.
The reason I have a TV is to watch England play cricket, and Blackburn Rovers play football. I loved 'Top Dogs: Adventures In War, Sea And Ice' on BBC2, in which three incredible men, Sir Ranulph Fiennes, John Simpson and Sir Robin Knox-Johnston, engaged in courageous expeditions. This is reality TV as it should be – no empty-headed celebrity wannabes here.
One of the indulgences of our house is a handy home cinema. Sky Movies Indie is great; I tend to video 10 films a week. I could watch 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid' until the cows come home.
Soul singer Nicole Willis is brilliant; she makes Duffy and Adele look anodyne. Much music today lacks integrity.
Wayne Hemingway & Son – Sculpture Remixed is part of the DLA Piper Series: This Is Sculpture at Tate Liverpool, (0151-702 7400; www.artinliverpool.com)
Life & Style blogs
Charlie Charlie Challenge: everyone on the internet thinks it’s a marketing stunt, but it probably isn’t
Not brushing your teeth can lead to dementia and heart disease
Insomnia could be cured with one simple therapy session, new study claims
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Spanish restaurant El Celler de Can Roca reclaims top spot to be named world's best restaurant
- 1 Amber Peat: Body found in search for missing 13-year-old who ran away after argument with her parents
- 2 California man brutally beat 82-year-old Sikh grandfather he mistook for 'one of those people'
- 3 Gay teenager 'forced to have sex with his own mother' to 'cure' his homosexuality, campaigners in India say
- 4 Charles Kennedy 'had better judgement drunk than many sober politicians' says Ian Hislop
- 5 Fifa corruption: Qatar says investigations are racist, anti-Arab and show 'ugly face' of countries who lost 2022 World Cup bid
£23000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company has over 40 years ...
£9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This high quality thread manufacturer is curr...
£40000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A market leading acquirer and m...
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Fully qualified electricians re...