Cultural Life: Wayne Hemingway, fashion designer
Friday 15 May 2009
'The Spirit Level: Why More Equal Societies Almost Always Do Better' by Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett is a must-read for anyone with a social conscience, about the damaging effect of inequality in rich countries.
The reason I have a TV is to watch England play cricket, and Blackburn Rovers play football. I loved 'Top Dogs: Adventures In War, Sea And Ice' on BBC2, in which three incredible men, Sir Ranulph Fiennes, John Simpson and Sir Robin Knox-Johnston, engaged in courageous expeditions. This is reality TV as it should be – no empty-headed celebrity wannabes here.
One of the indulgences of our house is a handy home cinema. Sky Movies Indie is great; I tend to video 10 films a week. I could watch 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid' until the cows come home.
Soul singer Nicole Willis is brilliant; she makes Duffy and Adele look anodyne. Much music today lacks integrity.
Wayne Hemingway & Son – Sculpture Remixed is part of the DLA Piper Series: This Is Sculpture at Tate Liverpool, (0151-702 7400; www.artinliverpool.com)
Life & Style blogs
Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
Victoria Beckham's clothing sales double to £30 million in one year
'Tis the season!: Google celebrates Christmas Eve with second animated Doodle
Christmas 2014: Jesus was not born in a stable, says theologian
UK's first plus-size fashion magazine Slink hits the shelves: 'Style doesn't stop at size 8'
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 Christmas comes early to Hong Kong, as millions of bank notes spill out onto busy street
- 3 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 4 Northern Lights above Britain: Stunning Aurora Borealis illuminates Northumberland sky on Christmas Eve
- 5 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
£20000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This full service social media ...
£24000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: We are 'Changemakers in retail'...
Very Competitive: Austen Lloyd: Senior Conveyancer - South West We are see...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: DORSET MARKET TOWN - SENIOR PROPERTY SOLICITOR...