Earn your stripes
Black and white makes a comeback for spring in pop art-inspired monochrome
Monday 21 January 2013
Marc Jacobs is a decisive kind of fashion designer.
Each season, he sets out his stall of ideas, first in New York for his two self-titled collections, then in Paris, where he presides over the French luxury house, Louis Vuitton. Each show presents a distinct vision, or set of ideas. Spring 2013 chez Marc Jacobs saw a parade of dainty 1960s garb printed with bold black bars including monochrome romper suits, dresses, skirt suits and striped pyjama ensembles with a touch of Beetlejuice about them. Highly qualified experts have debated over the years over whether it is vertical or horizontal stripes that make the wearer appear slimmer – what is true for sure is that finer stripes placed closer together will exaggerate curves like contours on a map, whereas blocky wide stripes can flatten you out somewhat.
Go for fitted rather than clingingly tight when wearing stripes, and if you're trying something new for 2013, why not experiment with trousers, or even matching top and bottoms, in graphic monochrome?
Life & Style blogs
Report finds English children among the unhappiest in world
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
The ALS Association doesn't yet know what to do with all this ice bucket challenge money
The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition?
The best gowns on the red carpet of 2014 Venice Film Festival
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Joan Rivers: 'Palestinians deserve to be dead'
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Anniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
- < Previous
- Next >
Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: CITY - An excellent new instruction w...
£500 per day: Harrington Starr: SQL Server Developer SQL, PHP, C#, Real Time,...
£600 per day: Harrington Starr: C#.NET Developer C#, Win Forms, WPF, WCF, MVVM...