Earn your stripes
Black and white makes a comeback for spring in pop art-inspired monochrome
Monday 21 January 2013
Marc Jacobs is a decisive kind of fashion designer.
Each season, he sets out his stall of ideas, first in New York for his two self-titled collections, then in Paris, where he presides over the French luxury house, Louis Vuitton. Each show presents a distinct vision, or set of ideas. Spring 2013 chez Marc Jacobs saw a parade of dainty 1960s garb printed with bold black bars including monochrome romper suits, dresses, skirt suits and striped pyjama ensembles with a touch of Beetlejuice about them. Highly qualified experts have debated over the years over whether it is vertical or horizontal stripes that make the wearer appear slimmer – what is true for sure is that finer stripes placed closer together will exaggerate curves like contours on a map, whereas blocky wide stripes can flatten you out somewhat.
Go for fitted rather than clingingly tight when wearing stripes, and if you're trying something new for 2013, why not experiment with trousers, or even matching top and bottoms, in graphic monochrome?
Life & Style blogs
International Kissing Day: Why it feels good
World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
Google has set its terrifying, dreaming image robots on the public
The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
- 1 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 2 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 3 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 4 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
- 5 The Greece debt crisis explained in less than 100 words
£23000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Business Analyst is required ...
£16000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To succeed, you will need to ha...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join an award winni...
£7 - £9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Are you outgoing? Do you want to work in...