Earn your stripes
Black and white makes a comeback for spring in pop art-inspired monochrome
Monday 21 January 2013
Marc Jacobs is a decisive kind of fashion designer.
Each season, he sets out his stall of ideas, first in New York for his two self-titled collections, then in Paris, where he presides over the French luxury house, Louis Vuitton. Each show presents a distinct vision, or set of ideas. Spring 2013 chez Marc Jacobs saw a parade of dainty 1960s garb printed with bold black bars including monochrome romper suits, dresses, skirt suits and striped pyjama ensembles with a touch of Beetlejuice about them. Highly qualified experts have debated over the years over whether it is vertical or horizontal stripes that make the wearer appear slimmer – what is true for sure is that finer stripes placed closer together will exaggerate curves like contours on a map, whereas blocky wide stripes can flatten you out somewhat.
Go for fitted rather than clingingly tight when wearing stripes, and if you're trying something new for 2013, why not experiment with trousers, or even matching top and bottoms, in graphic monochrome?
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 4 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 5 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This firm are focussed on assis...
£7 per hour: Recruitment Genius: A vacancy has arisen for a General Processor ...
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A great opportunity has arisen ...
£14000 - £16000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Full time and Part time positio...