Get the look: Geometric prints
Sunday 02 June 2013
I hear it's hip to be square this summer. Geek-chic revival? Revival? Would that it had ever gone away. But returning to your question, more precisely: it's hip to wear squares. Or diamonds or triangles, for that matter.
Brings a whole new meaning to 'shapewear', doesn't it?
Quite. But don't limit yourself to polygons. The new wave of geometric prints for this season takes in circles, zigzags, stripes…
Not all at the same time, surely? Yup, sometimes all in one epilepsy-inducing item. If you're hungover, this is the last thing you want your brunch date pitching up in. But even a simple check can be equally eye-catching worn head-to-toe, as seen at Louis Vuitton, for instance. This, my friend, is what's known in fashion terms as "bold".
And how about for the more meek among us?
It's a question of balancing the print and the item to which it's applied. So a simple shirt or tunic, paired with plain trousers, can take quite a busy pattern. This Op-Art number from Sportmax (above, £198, matchesfashion.com) is a chic way into the trend.
You can still wear pattern head-to-toe, just go a little subtler – Oasis's 1960s-style bright pink "Rebecca" shift dress (£75, oasis-stores.com) has a graphic scallop pattern subtly traced out in delicate white.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
£9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This role is based within a small family run ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Design and marketing agenc...
£46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This property investment firm are lookin...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company specialises provid...