Get the look: Summer black
Sunday 05 May 2013
Not who; what. It might sound like a tween icon, but it's actually shorthand for the monochrome palette that has seeped into spring/summer styles.
Marvellous, I can just carry on wearing my winter clothes then
Don't be silly, you know fashion is all about the fetishisation of small differences. Besides, even with the UK climate, you'll find yourself a little clammy in cold-weather togs.
So what turns winter black into summer black?
First you need to go lightweight with the fabrics – think soft, sheer and fluid. Then you'll want to look for feminine shapes with a bit of "interesting texture". Ruffles and pleats are good, as are lace and broderie anglaise.
Yikes! Black lace in summer? I'll end up on that 'Goths in Hot Weather' tumblr…
It's more about channelling Bardot on holiday in 1950s Capri – the contrast of a sweet summer dress rendered in sombre black is subtly powerful. A healthy show of skin (décolletage or midriff, as you prefer) is also imperative.
Bardot in summer? I can do that
Life & Style blogs
Men in tights: getting to the bottom of the latest trend
Snapchat removed the Best Friends list feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Night Nurse could put drivers over new drug limit
Stephen Hawking: NHS is Britain's finest public service and must be preserved from commercial interests
Baldness could soon be treated using stem cells, scientists hope
- 1 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 Rashida Jones speaks out against male-centric porn saying 'women should have sex and feel good about it'
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: Phase Co-ordinator for Foundation and Key S...
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: SEN Teacher We have a fantastic special n...
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: My client is an 11-18 all ability co-educat...
£100 - £150 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: Year 6 Teacher Birmingham Jan 2015...