Get the look: Summer black
Sunday 05 May 2013
Not who; what. It might sound like a tween icon, but it's actually shorthand for the monochrome palette that has seeped into spring/summer styles.
Marvellous, I can just carry on wearing my winter clothes then
Don't be silly, you know fashion is all about the fetishisation of small differences. Besides, even with the UK climate, you'll find yourself a little clammy in cold-weather togs.
So what turns winter black into summer black?
First you need to go lightweight with the fabrics – think soft, sheer and fluid. Then you'll want to look for feminine shapes with a bit of "interesting texture". Ruffles and pleats are good, as are lace and broderie anglaise.
Yikes! Black lace in summer? I'll end up on that 'Goths in Hot Weather' tumblr…
It's more about channelling Bardot on holiday in 1950s Capri – the contrast of a sweet summer dress rendered in sombre black is subtly powerful. A healthy show of skin (décolletage or midriff, as you prefer) is also imperative.
Bardot in summer? I can do that
Life & Style blogs
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
iPhone 6s photos leak shows new phone will be thicker than iPhone 6, could make cases defunct
Overly-controlling parents cause their children lifelong psychological damage, says study
Women really are more attracted to men who make them laugh, study finds
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 4 Bob Geldof offers to take four refugee families into his home 'immediately' as he condemns humanitarian crisis as a ‘f**king disgrace'
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
£37040 - £43600 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The UK's export credit agency a...
£25000 - £27500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides a compreh...
£16800 - £19500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Would you like to join an organ...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: In the last five years this com...