Get the look: Summer black
Sunday 05 May 2013
Not who; what. It might sound like a tween icon, but it's actually shorthand for the monochrome palette that has seeped into spring/summer styles.
Marvellous, I can just carry on wearing my winter clothes then
Don't be silly, you know fashion is all about the fetishisation of small differences. Besides, even with the UK climate, you'll find yourself a little clammy in cold-weather togs.
So what turns winter black into summer black?
First you need to go lightweight with the fabrics – think soft, sheer and fluid. Then you'll want to look for feminine shapes with a bit of "interesting texture". Ruffles and pleats are good, as are lace and broderie anglaise.
Yikes! Black lace in summer? I'll end up on that 'Goths in Hot Weather' tumblr…
It's more about channelling Bardot on holiday in 1950s Capri – the contrast of a sweet summer dress rendered in sombre black is subtly powerful. A healthy show of skin (décolletage or midriff, as you prefer) is also imperative.
Bardot in summer? I can do that
Life & Style blogs
Three in every four British men will be overweight by 2030, says World Health Organisation
Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
How to gain confidence and maximise your sexual potential
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Katie Hopkins gives rare glimpse of sensitive side with heartfelt open letter to her children penned in case she dies from epilepsy
- 2 Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
- 3 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
- 4 Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
- 5 Florida couple forced to register as sex offenders for having sex on public beach
£35000 - £40000 per annum + car and benefits: Ashdown Group: Marketing Manager...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Helpdesk Analyst - Devon - £20,000 ...
£35000 - £50000 per annum + generous bonus: Ashdown Group: Business Analytics ...
£45000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Project Coordinator (Software Dev...