How To Be Beautiful: Cleansing with oils
The way we do our hair or make-up alters regularly, but it's unlikely that the stuff in our make-up bag mutates so conspicuously. Cosmetic colours vary, formulas improve, but – generically speaking – the products themselves remain the same.
The appearance of a new one is, then, pretty remarkable. Not that there is anything novel about what's in the bottle – oils have been around as long as life itself. But cleansing skin and hair with them feels like a radical development, or here in the West anyway. Other cultures have never forgotten their gentle, balancing benefits (in Japan and India, for example, they're the norm), but oil of all kinds has long hovered on the border of our distaste – one of cleansing's aims being precisely to eliminate it.
Beauty's current flirtation with oils may be part of a broader shift in sensibility. Just as the fat-free dietary ideal of the past few decades has waned in recognition of nourishing, "good" fats, we're accepting the wisdom of feeding skin with what it naturally contains.
Life & Style blogs
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The spring menswear season has only just begun, but I've already started to get deep and meaningful....
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£18000 - £24000 per annum + Bens : May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you ar...
£60000 - £70000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£55000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Pension: Orgtel: Quantitative Analyst, ...
£200 - £250 per day: Progressive Recruitment: Urgent Requirement: Senior Inf...