How To Be Beautiful: Feeling blue?
Sunday 11 March 2012
Blue eyeshadow has cut a friendless figure in the make-up world for some time; after outrageous popularity in the Abigail's Party years, it slipped into disdain for many. The logic of this contempt is fuzzy. Some women will tell you it is horrible because it looks "unnatural". Of course, the same could be said – though rarely is – of flicky black eyeliner or scarlet lips. The difference, then, lies in a belief that make-up should mimic and exaggerate, even to an absurd degree, some existing facial trait or tone.
That will be a difficult principle to stick to this spring if you plan to embrace catwalk trends: proper colour – pastel or neon bright – featured heavily on eyes and lips. Oddly enough, blue, at least in its dark-navy incarnation, emerged as one of the most wearable looks. At the Rodarte show, make-up artists for the Nars brand created a blue-black smoky eye inspired by Van Gogh's Starry Night. Softer and deeper than a monochrome palette, it's proof that departing from what's strictly natural can produce beautiful results.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a unique opportunity to...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: Trainee Managers are required to join the UK's...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will maximise the effective...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + uncapped commission : SThree: Hello! I know most ...