How To Be Beautiful: Get the red-carpet ready look
Sunday 12 February 2012
Tonight, another stage in the awards season's red-carpet relay, the Baftas, takes place. Tomorrow, we will pore over the photos, envying flawless complexions and exemplary bone structure.
The trickery involved in creating, or at least finessing, these qualities for the benefit of a camera is of a different cosmetic order to everyday techniques. Triple the quantities of slap involved for a start; what's understated in a photo may well look absurdly artificial in the flesh.
This distinction is lost on some. It figures that reality TV stars tend to favour an exaggerated version of "photo make-up", stubbornly sculpting in higher cheekbones and redrafting lip lines, as if all life were directed towards a lens.
Nonetheless, there are pointers to be cherry-picked. Things that we civilians generally don't bother with because we consider life too short: primers, highlighters and super-fine finishing powders are all essentials in producing camera-worthy skin that also translates happily into a world not bisected by a viewfinder.
Life & Style blogs
Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
Victoria Beckham's clothing sales double to £30 million in one year
GTA 5: Christmas arrives in Los Santos as update brings snowball fights, festive jumpers and a homing missile launcher
'Tis the season!: Google celebrates Christmas Eve with second animated Doodle
Christmas 2014: Jesus was not born in a stable, says theologian
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 Antonio Martin shooting: Mayor says there should be 'no comparison' to Ferguson
- 3 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 4 Northern Lights above Britain: Stunning Aurora Borealis illuminates Northumberland sky on Christmas Eve
- 5 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
£20000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This full service social media ...
£24000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: We are 'Changemakers in retail'...
Very Competitive: Austen Lloyd: Senior Conveyancer - South West We are see...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: DORSET MARKET TOWN - SENIOR PROPERTY SOLICITOR...