How To Be Beautiful: Get the red-carpet ready look
Sunday 12 February 2012
Tonight, another stage in the awards season's red-carpet relay, the Baftas, takes place. Tomorrow, we will pore over the photos, envying flawless complexions and exemplary bone structure.
The trickery involved in creating, or at least finessing, these qualities for the benefit of a camera is of a different cosmetic order to everyday techniques. Triple the quantities of slap involved for a start; what's understated in a photo may well look absurdly artificial in the flesh.
This distinction is lost on some. It figures that reality TV stars tend to favour an exaggerated version of "photo make-up", stubbornly sculpting in higher cheekbones and redrafting lip lines, as if all life were directed towards a lens.
Nonetheless, there are pointers to be cherry-picked. Things that we civilians generally don't bother with because we consider life too short: primers, highlighters and super-fine finishing powders are all essentials in producing camera-worthy skin that also translates happily into a world not bisected by a viewfinder.
Life & Style blogs
Kylie Jenner challenge: Bizarre lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
Chloe Sevigny poses with a lobster on her crotch in a daring shoot for Marfa Journal
Loch Ness Monster: Google Maps unveils Nessie Street View and homepage Doodle to mark 81st anniversary of iconic photograph
Coachella Festival 2015: from Kendall Jenner to Alexa Chung, stars and festival-goers parade their boho best
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Katie Hopkins has just written a piece so hateful that it might give Hitler pause – why was it published?
- 4 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
- 5 Cancel Sky at your peril: man spends 96 minutes in chat but fails to get rid of service
£14000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Office Administrator is requ...
£12000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Due to expansion and growth of ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Senior PHP Developer position with a...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Operations Leader is required to join a lea...