How to be beautiful: Matte foundations
Sunday 01 July 2012
In beauty, as in many things in life, it's the finish that is key. Which is to say that you may be bang-on with your choice of lipstick shade, but if you go gloss when the whims of fashion or the rest of your look demand matte, your efforts will fall flat.
Conventional beauty generally requires lustre – evolutionary principles demand that things such as hair, eyes and teeth must be shiny and sparkly. Skin, however, is a trickier matter, requiring a delicate balance of textures, where shine is needed, but only in small degrees.
If your skin is of an oilier persuasion, a "dewy" look – cosmetics' holy grail in this area – is unlikely to be an option (except perhaps for a five-minute period around midday), but thankfully new mattifying formulations in foundation no longer turn your complexion to chalk. The best allow a little natural sheen to develop, giving you that idealised teenage skin that most of us never had.
Life & Style blogs
Versace haute couture review: Beautiful evening dresses are some of the loveliest Donatella has ever created
What supermodels really think about posing in the nude
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
Minecraft: Story Mode trailer revealed with cast of stars
The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
- 1 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 2 Greece debt crisis explained: A history of just how the country landed itself in such a mess
- 3 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 4 Greek debt crisis: Yanis Varoufakis's funniest (and most memorable) quotes
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
£16000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are looking for individual...
£25000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Project Coordinator is requir...
£40000 - £95000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£20000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Trainee Vehicle Inspectors / Pu...