How to be Beautiful: Neon brights
Sunday 08 April 2012
Catwalk fashion has provided us with plenty of fodder for "Can I really wear that?" moments on the high street this season. Exhibit A: the crop top. Likewise, beauty halls are awash with eye-popping shades of electric blue and effulgent yellow that are a tricky proposition for anyone old enough to vote.
The advantage of a make-up trend, however, is that it can be diluted easily without entirely losing its essence. While playing around with the proportions of a crop top will leave you with something that is just, well, a top, the new neon shades can be worn any number of ways and, even at their subtlest, retain their primary punch. A wash of vivid colour on the eyes, for instance (with other make-up kept minimal), looks beautifully contemporary; vibrant pink or orange lipstick requires less skill – and is much more flattering than you might imagine. And if neons still make you nervous, nails are always a safe place for experimentation.
Life & Style blogs
'Timeless fashion': It may be a paradox, but the industry loves it
The secret to a great sex life revealed: Two cups of coffee a day
New exhibition celebrates the evolution of swimwear
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Teenager tries to buy elderly homeless man breakfast at McDonald's but is told homeless people cannot be served under 'new policy'
- 1 Isis 'jihadi bride' claims forced sex with Yazidi girls is never rape because Koran condones it
- 2 Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
- 3 Art Garfunkel calls Paul Simon a 'monster' with a Napoleon complex
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...