How to be Beautiful: Neon brights
Sunday 08 April 2012
Catwalk fashion has provided us with plenty of fodder for "Can I really wear that?" moments on the high street this season. Exhibit A: the crop top. Likewise, beauty halls are awash with eye-popping shades of electric blue and effulgent yellow that are a tricky proposition for anyone old enough to vote.
The advantage of a make-up trend, however, is that it can be diluted easily without entirely losing its essence. While playing around with the proportions of a crop top will leave you with something that is just, well, a top, the new neon shades can be worn any number of ways and, even at their subtlest, retain their primary punch. A wash of vivid colour on the eyes, for instance (with other make-up kept minimal), looks beautifully contemporary; vibrant pink or orange lipstick requires less skill – and is much more flattering than you might imagine. And if neons still make you nervous, nails are always a safe place for experimentation.
Life & Style blogs
Holocaust Memorial Day: 70 years since Auschwitz liberation, these are the stories of survivors
Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
Does the path to true love really lie in these 36 questions?
Hershey's angers US chocolate purists by forcing company to stop importing 'yummy' Cadbury bars
Food secrets: the good, the bad...and the faeces
- 1 King Salman: Just five days in, Saudi Arabia's new king has already overseen a beheading
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Presidential optical illusion offers clues to how brain processes faces
- 5 Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
£20000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Fantastic opportunity to join a...
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Partnership Relationship Mana...
£45000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This software development compa...
£14600 - £17600 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are passionate about sup...