How To Be Beautiful: On the lash with the 1960s Twiggy look
Sunday 15 January 2012
The best thing about a beauty trend is that you have a little time to observe its success or failure on others before deciding you want in. In fashion, if you take three months to decide that denim harem pants could work for you, you'll have missed the boat (incidentally, you'd also be wrong).
Beauty tends not to have fads and crazes, so much as modes – longer, gentler cycles – which means that even now it's not too late to hop on an autumn/winter look. Especially since, in the case of the full, 1960s-style lashes on the catwalk at Miu Miu and Chloé, this one is universally flattering.
If you haven't Twiggy-fied your eyelashes thus far, do it now while the light levels are still low. Va-va-voom mascara, which for period authenticity should be applied liberally to top and bottom lashes, is a look that goes off in the summer sun, not least because the smudge factor is higher in the heat. However, that's not to say that it can't look fresh; just keep everything else simple.
Life & Style blogs
Kanye West's Yeezy Boost trainers: All you need to know ahead of the UK launch
Majority of UK women don't bathe or take a shower daily
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
Brit Awards 2015: Red carpet round up, from Paloma Faith to Ed Sheeran
The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 1 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 2 Scarlett Johansson new band 'already hit with legal complaint' from another The Singles
- 3 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News after accusing Kay Burley of Islamaphobia
£23000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This small, friendly, proactive...
£14500 - £22800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Software Developer is required to join a lea...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: A first rate opportunity to join a top ranking...