How to be beautiful: Self-tanning
Sunday 27 November 2011
The potions on our bathroom shelves provide an uncomfortably intimate map of our physical insecurities. Yet many of us are far less embarrassed by our arsenal of wrinkle creams and blemish zappers than by that lone bottle of fake tan.
We know that artificial bronzing is the safest kind. And, at this point in the year, what alternative for those with complexions not so much porcelain as dull putty? Still, some of us can't quite shake the feeling that such blatant shamming of what was once a status symbol is a little – whisper it – vulgar.
This is outmoded thinking. Any fool can lie in the sun. Self-tanning (a more genteel term than fake), meanwhile, is truly technocratic. Whether it's an Amy Childs-style shade of gingerbread or the merest lifelike glow – and the suggestions below favour the latter – it's the success of the application that decides whether bottled bronze is something to be ashamed of.
Exfoliate, moisturise and – beauty's favourite verb – blend, blend, blend. Perfect orange deserves more respect than patchy beige.
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 5C could be killed next year, and Apple’s cheap and cheerful line might die with it
Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
Coke milk? Coca-Cola to launch premium milk brand called Fairlife
Black Friday: Best fashion deals -online and on the high-street
UK's first plus-size fashion magazine Slink hits the shelves: 'Style doesn't stop at size 8'
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings: Ridley Scott never considered casting 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he'd killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: SURREY MARKET TOWN - SENIOR PROPERTY SOLICITOR...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: What do you want to do with your career? Do yo...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This company is a leading expert in immunoassa...