How to be beautiful: Self-tanning
Sunday 27 November 2011
The potions on our bathroom shelves provide an uncomfortably intimate map of our physical insecurities. Yet many of us are far less embarrassed by our arsenal of wrinkle creams and blemish zappers than by that lone bottle of fake tan.
We know that artificial bronzing is the safest kind. And, at this point in the year, what alternative for those with complexions not so much porcelain as dull putty? Still, some of us can't quite shake the feeling that such blatant shamming of what was once a status symbol is a little – whisper it – vulgar.
This is outmoded thinking. Any fool can lie in the sun. Self-tanning (a more genteel term than fake), meanwhile, is truly technocratic. Whether it's an Amy Childs-style shade of gingerbread or the merest lifelike glow – and the suggestions below favour the latter – it's the success of the application that decides whether bottled bronze is something to be ashamed of.
Exfoliate, moisturise and – beauty's favourite verb – blend, blend, blend. Perfect orange deserves more respect than patchy beige.
Life & Style blogs
The Evil Within preview: a survival horror fan’s best worst nightmare
Porn film production likely to stop in Los Angeles after actor tests positive for HIV
Ice Bucket Challenge: ALS Association doesn't yet know what to do with all of the money raised
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
iPhone 6 'release date' firmed up in leaked photos of Apple smartphone
- 1 Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 4 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 5 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- < Previous
- Next >
Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: HAMPSHIRE MARKET TOWN - A highly attr...
£35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Network Engineer (CCNP, CCNA, Linux, OSPF,...
Highly Attractive Package: Austen Lloyd: A VERY HIGH QUALITY FIRM A high qual...
£50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: DevOps Engineer (Systems Administration, L...