How to be Beautiful: Soothe your skin
Sunday 10 March 2013
Balm. The word alone seems to have soothing properties. While so much of our beauty regimes is devoted to scrubbing and stripping, pummelling and plucking, slathering on an unctuous balm seems like a rare act of kindness towards the skin.
Though it feels natural to use one on your lips, leaving a balm on the rest of one's face, even just overnight, can be a little full-on for those who instantly connect anything vaguely oily with spots.
A balm cleanser is the perfect solution – gliding on gently, lifting away impurities and then leaving your skin nice and supple once washed off. Throw a muslin cloth, dipped in hot water, into the removal process and you'll get an exfoliation that's gentle enough for every day.
Even more pleasing, however, is the fact that most balm cleansers will double up to remove eye make-up, offering you a neat short cut at the end of the day to the most nourishing balm of all: sleep.
Life & Style blogs
Snapchat removed the Best Friends list feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Virtual reality thrusts viewers into the frontline of global events - and puts film-goers at the heart of the action
Fifty years of David Bowie's hairstyles in one animated gif
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Eculizumab: 'The £10m-per-patient NHS drug gave me my life back’
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: NON-CONTENTIOUS (0-2 PQE) - A rare opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Senior Financial Analyst is required to join...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join the South West'...
£15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This major European Intellectual Propert...