How to be beautiful: The party line
Sunday 18 December 2011
Successful party make-up involves turning up the volume to the right degree. A glamorous outfit with an undone face produces a strange effect best left to Tilda Swinton. Conversely, a full-on make-over may attract such incredulous compliments from others that you will spend your evening wondering just how unattractive you look on a day-to-day to basis.
In the beauty halls, the most-requested look for party season is the smoky eye – with good reason, since it brings low-maintenance drama. While high-colour lipstick requires perfection, a smoky eye looks OK when a little worn-in. You needn't take the name literally, either; navy or aubergine can be softer and more flattering than charcoal.
Fiddly they might be, but never underestimate the prettifying power of false eyelashes. Enlist help with application if necessary and you'll be pleasantly surprised when you inspect the inevitable barrage of photos – there's a reason they're a red-carpet staple.
A neutral lipgloss should be your plus-one, far more forgiving than lipstick when it comes to eating, drinking and talking. Which, after all, is what a party is about.
The Washington Post editor helped Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein bring down President Nixon
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Salisbury ranked seventh-best city in the world to visit in Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
£80 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Liverpool: **Due to an increase in dema...
£50 per day: Randstad Education Cheshire: SEN Teaching Assistant EBD , Septemb...
£7 per hour: Randstad Education Cheshire: We are a large and successful recrui...
£50 per day: Randstad Education Cheshire: SEN Teaching Assistant We are curr...