How to get the look: Cape coats
Sunday 29 September 2013
Capes! I'll be swooshing around as if I'm on stage at the Globe all winter then.
Depends on what kind you go for. A little while back, opting for a cape as your cold-weather cover-up was considered eccentric. Now that it's as normal as a pac-a-mac (well, actually, way more normal than that), there are all sorts on offer.
Not sure I want one, now they're so mainstream an'all.
Capes haven't got boring – they've just become easier to wear. So less of the long blanket-y global-traveller stuff and more contemporary numbers and coat hybrids such as this one from Red Valentino (£589, my-wardrobe.com, above). Sharp, smart and a little bit Sherlock.
Hmm, bit city chic for me – how about something a little more casual?
If you want something that you can just fling on – and the best thing about capes is that you can quite literally do that, which is great for huffy, post-argument exits – Sessun has a lovely one on asos.com for £195. It's nice and slouchy in cosy wool and comes in a lovely rusty shade that feels perfectly autumnal. It also has a hood, which is, let's face it, even more seasonal.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
£70000 - £80000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Group Head of Marketing and Communic...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Level 3 Nursery Nurse required for ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: L3 Nursery Nurses urgently required...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: We have a number of schools based S...