How to get the look: Dungarees
Sunday 30 March 2014
Uh-oh. Dexys alert…
Kind of, but lose the kerchief and try wearing a vest or something underneath – at least until the weather is a little more clement.
Unconvinced. Surely best left to those born after the Berlin Wall came down?
Dungarees are way more versatile than you'd think. The spectrum of celebs who have been snapped in a pair runs from evergreen clothes horse Helena Christensen to young popstrel Rita Ora. You can go short, long or even mid-length, denim, gabardine or – only for the brave – leather.
OK, how are they making them work?
For the young folk, a full-on 1990s redux works. For something a little more classic, I'd follow SJP's example of dungarees plus grey sweater and sports-luxe sneakers. Alexa Chung, a dedicated fan of dungarees, has nailed the look on many occasions with a Breton top or lacy Victoriana blouse, teamed with espadrille wedges.
Surprisingly appealing. Point me to a pair…
These pale-blue denims from Noisy May (£65, houseoffraser.co.uk, pictured above) are a good casual basic. If you want the potential to go smarter, Paul & Joe Sister's Milton style have a cropped cigarette-pant leg that's nice with heels (£165, my-wardrobe.com).
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- < Previous
- Next >
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior Data Sc...
Highly Attractive Salary: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - This is a very unusual law c...
£28000 - £30000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Junior VB.NET ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Web De...