How to get the look: Paisley prints
Sunday 11 August 2013
OK, I've got florals, hyperreal digital mash-ups and surreal trompe-l'oeil in my wardrobe. Where do I go now with prints?
Straight back to the Summer of Love. Paisley, yes paisley, is the pattern of the moment.
Yikes, how did that happen?
Blame Parisian designer Isabel Marant; her togs are a perennial fave with the hipper end of the celeb continuum, but her billowy paisley dresses and shirts have had broad-spectrum appeal, snapped on everyone from Maggie Gyllenhaal to Rosie H-W and Demi Lovato.
Accessorise with a massive whiff of sandalwood?
Mais non! Even if you're not wearing Marant, you need to channel her Left-Bank-chic-meets-global-traveller vibe. So keep it contemporary – either in terms of the style and shape of your paisley item. Go for simple, modern shapes and accessories, or clash up your prints.
But I hate that nicotine-y 1970s palette…
Look around: there's more than one type of paisley. Intermix's pretty navy-on-white floral paisley silk track-pants look more like lace (£129.86, intermixonline.com). And this cocktail dress from McQ Alexander McQueen (pictured above) takes elements of 1970s wallpaper to new heights of chic with its flocked pattern (£435, my-wardrobe.com).
Life & Style blogs
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Fearne Cotton quits Radio 1 after ten years for 'family and new adventures'
salary equal to £40K pro-rata: Sauce Recruitment: Are you available to start a...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Creative Front-End Developer - Claph...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The role in this successful eco...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: QA Tester - London - £30,000 QA Tes...