How to get the look: Plain black tops
Sunday 18 August 2013
Ooh, that sounds exciting.
Come on, nothing thrills the true fashionista more than pure black. It's the perfect opportunity to show off. While the amateur differentiates (clothes, cars, whatever) by colour, the sartorial brain can distinguish two black tops at 50 paces by way of a dropped shoulder or exposed seam.
Mmm, impressive stuff. But plain black looks boring on me.
I hear you. A plain black tee or polo neck on Elle Macpherson, say, suddenly looks like a mega-glam idea. Try it without the A-list blow-dry and glowing smile and it just looks, well, like a black top.
So you admit there's no hope then.
Actually it's no myth that plain black separates are chic staples, and there are a couple of routes you can go with this. First, you can give your plain black a bit of va va voom with the right fabric. This faux-leather panelled T-shirt by Neil Barrett is something of a modern classic (pictured above, £180, my-wardrobe.com).
Woah, faux leather… hold your horses.
OK, if you want to keep things demure, try Topshop's high-neck, elbow-length sleeved top (£32, topshop.com). It's beautifully simple and has retro hints of Hepburn and Kelly.
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 7 (or iPhone 6S) leaked pictures show similarities to older model — but Apple is fixing the biggest issue of all
The face of fertility: why do men find women who are near ovulation more attractive?
'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
Google has set its terrifying, dreaming image robots on the public
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 Amber Roof: Sister of Charleston shooting suspect Dylann Roof launches fund-raising appeal for wedding and honeymoon
- 4 Russell Brand condemns moment of silence for Tunisia attack victims as a 'minute of bulls**t'
- 5 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£22000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are the go-to company for ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join the UK's leadin...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This caravan dealership are currently recruiti...