How to get the look: Silk shirts
Sunday 25 August 2013
Yup, I know what you mean – there is definitely something a bit 1980s Jilly Cooper about the idea of a silk shirt – and what's wrong with that, I ask you?
Nothing… but if I don't want to look like a Sloaney bonkbuster heroine?
In reality, the silk shirt has shed its Sloaney, popping-over-to-the-neighbour-to-borrow-a-cup-of-Gold-Blend associations; now it's just a cool, contemporary staple.
Why buy now?
There's a masculine/feminine vibe going on next season that the silk shirt fits nicely into – clean, simple and a little bit buttoned-up, yet fluid and undeniably sensuous on account of the fabric. It also works the smart/casual divide with impressive flexibility.
Well, it will flatter far more than an ordinary shirt in cotton, which, no matter how expensive, will often pull or gape on the bust. Plus, you can wear a silk number tucked or untucked. This version from online boutique Hush (above) is a wearable, easy classic in neutral cream or black (£140, hush-uk.com), while Reiss's Dahlia looks sweetly vintage in duck-egg blue with Deco stitching on the collar (£125, reiss.com).
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Geeks who rocked the world: Documentary looks back at origins of the computer-games industry
Ukip's official health spokesperson: 'Honestly, I have no experience in health whatsoever'
Deliberately urinating before sex can increase risk of urinary tract infections
Doctors to trial 29-point checklist for elderly patients facing 'unavoidable' death
- 1 The truth about 'girl things': Three cheers for Heather Watson's honesty
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Tennis fan suing Australian Open organisers for 'failing to shade spectators' during Murray match
- 5 Syrian refugee child beaten by Istanbul Burger King manager for eating customer’s leftover food
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: OXFORD - REGIONAL FIRM - An excellent opportu...
Super Package: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - SENIOR CLINICAL NEGLIGENCE - An outstan...
£15000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Fantastic opportunities are ava...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Compute Engineer is required to join a globa...