How to get the look: The flippy skirt
Sunday 23 March 2014
Flippy? Well this all sounds very technical.
I think you'll find flippy is accepted terminology – this is fashion not astrophysics, after all, so there's room for the impressionistic. Flippiness is a broad church, no strict criteria, but you know what flippy feels like! Basically a garment, probably a skirt or dress, that has a nice bit of swing to it as you move.
You mean something that is likely to reveal your Spanx if you turn too fast?
Yes, exactly. So choose your underwear wisely, especially if there's a breeze – respectable coverage without being industrial-sized is a good choice.
Does flippy equal short and girly?
Not necessarily. This Jaeger dogtooth number is made from lovely light silk for the kind of featherweight flippiness that will put a guaranteed spring in your step, but it's of demure enough length for work (£150, jaeger.co.uk, pictured above). The pleats have a bit of vintage to them, but I'd probably pair it with a nice pop neon tee.
And how about something for out-of-office?
Monki has a cute spotted skater skirt that's cheap and cheerful and sits sweetly on the waist (£20, asos.com). Naturally you don't get a lot of material for that price, so if you've knees like Cornish pasties, avoid.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Stuart Baggs dies: Apprentice star 'The Brand' found dead aged 27
- 2 Whoopi Goldberg tells Cara Delevingne to suck it up: 'She's not famous. I'M famous'
- 3 1000 people played Foo Fighters simultaneously to try and get them to play their city
- 4 Every club should be like Labour – you can’t join as a new member unless you’re already a member
- 5 Doctor Who: Christopher Eccleston says why he left the BBC series after just one series
£14000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing travel comp...
£15500 - £17680 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A position has become available...
£60000 - £120000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This conference call startup i...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This digital and print design a...