How to get the look: The high-low hemline
Sunday 04 May 2014
The high-low hemline, eh? Well, that's sure to fox economists.
Personally, I'm a big subscriber to the theory that hemlines rise and fall with the economy – those rogue hanky hems I spotted a while back can only be explained by the double dip.
So what does the high-low mean?
That finances have now been rubbish for so long that everyone's given up on charting the post-crisis trajectory – are we up or are we down? The high-low hem means: yes, you earn a decent salary; but no, you cannot afford to buy a house.
And I thought it was just a cruel trick played on those of us with knees like Cornish pasties.
Yeah, it's a blow to those of us whose thighs seem to sit an inch lower on the leg, say, Gwyneth Paltrow's. But be positive – don't think of it as a weird, unnecessarily knee-exposing long skirt so much as a short skirt that has added back-of-thigh cellulite coverage.
Actually, that does put a rosier spin on it. What else redeems this one, aesthetically speaking?
In the case of this colour-block shift dress (£280, dkny.com, above), the hem elevates it beyond the norm – a tiny bit of drama and flounce, but sophisticated and soft. If you want to amp up that drama a little, plump for Asos's candy-floss-coloured midi scuba skirt (£35, asos.com). And sashay!
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Rice Bucket Challenge: India's take on the Ice Bucket Challenge 'for Indian needs'
- 2 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 Rubble Bucket Challenge: Ice Bucket Challenge adapted in solidarity with Gazans whose homes have been destroyed in conflict
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Make sure you know the new rules from 1 October or risk £1,000 fine
- < Previous
- Next >
£500 - £550 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client are currently...
£50 - £55 per day: Randstad Education Cheshire: SEN TAWe are looking to recrui...
£40000 Per Annum dependent on experience: The Green Recruitment Company: They ...
TBC: Test Recruiter for iJobs: Job London (Greater)