London Fashion Week: Granny comes into fashion in 2013
Forget Cara Delevingne at London Fashion Week.
This year the rag-trade spotlight falls on the grandmother, according to the industry bible Vogue.
This month the magazine says the grandmother “has never been so inspirational” and 2013 is the “year of the matriarch”. Highlighted are the autumn/winter catwalks showcasing “a new silhouette that grandmama would approve of; twinsets and demure, calf-skimming skirts at Nina Ricci, Rochas and Prada”. And at LFW yesterday Sister By Sibling showed a “retro glamour” collection of sexy knitted suits, twinsets and skirts.
But the “year of the matriarch” isn’t all about twinsets and knitwear; on Tuesday, Channel 4’s Cutting Edge documentary Fabulous Fashionistas follows six women with the average age of 80, who are all looking fabulous and having fun without Botox or plastic surgery.
And later this year the fashion photographer Tim Walker’s book The Granny Alphabet will also celebrate the older woman. He told Vogue: “I’ve found the way an elderly women wears her clothes endlessly fascinating.”
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Paris Fashion Week: Skirting the issue for the stylish boys' brigade
Losing appetite as you age? Try adding umami flavour to restore the 'joy of taste'
The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
Miss Universe 2015: A beefeater, a yellow tree and an entire hockey game - the bizarre national costumes
- 1 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 2 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Warriors in ancient Iraq suffered Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder more than 3,000 years ago, say researchers
- 5 This crazy skiing video will leave you feeling queasy
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A really exciting opportunity has arisen for a...
£22000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An established, family owned de...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An exciting position has risen for a Customer ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join a is a...