My Style: Andrew Wilkinson
Sunday 16 March 2008
Occupation: Drummer / menswear designer
Personal style: Boys in the band
James Sherwood: Your band, Mr Hudson & the Library, have just released a debut album, A Tale of Two Cities, and your clothing label, Sanderson Black, is becoming a cult club classic. Explain these grandiose names.
Andrew Wilkinson: Mr Hudson is our lead singer and we used to rehearse in his front-room, which was full of books. And Sanderson Black is my grandfather's name; he was a sharp dresser, so I named my label after him.
JS: Do you have a background in fashion?
AW: I studied menswear at London College of Fashion but left to tour with the band.
JS: Are you wearing Sanderson Black?
AW: The hoodie is one of mine. The mosaic print inside [see below] is a nod to the electro influence on young designers. We took the colour out of it, so it's not as brash.
JS: Is that what Mr Hudson is about – a mix of old-fashioned songwriting and upfront beats?
AW: Yes, we're inspired by jazz standards, but Bowie and Dre are in the mix.
JS: Are you wearing what you would on stage?
AW: I'd be a bit more amped-up. That said, I'm the drummer so you only see the top half. I'm wearing a Vincent Vincent and the Villains T-shirt, Diesel jeans and Nike Blazer trainers.
JS: Are there plans to develop Sanderson Black? Tour T-shirts would be a no-brainer.
AW: I have designed T-shirts with a gold or baby blue "SB", but at the moment it's about designing the hoodies and getting them on the backs of other bands; getting some hype.
JS: It's got great integrity: a streetwear label designed by a man in the music scene. God knows where you find the time, though.
AW: We're still up and coming.
JS: I think you're up and arrived.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
- 3 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 4 Peaches Geldof inquest: Tragic final moments of socialite's life reveal she lied to husband about failed heroin tests
- 5 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
£48000 - £54000 per annum + Benefits package: Progressive Recruitment: My clie...
£35000 - £45000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: If you're pa...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: SAP Business...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: My client, a...