Prim but sexy: How to wear court shoes
Sunday 14 July 2013
You know nobody sees your feet on jury service?
Very droll, although you are on to something. Courts are exactly the kind of apparel you'd choose for a day in the dock. Spiky but fragile, sexy yet prim – you don't get character like that from a wedge.
Beyond trial dates, any other suitable occasions? The cost-per-wear is looking quite high
Courts did used to feel a bit boardroom/boring, but they've reasserted themselves of late as a grown-up alternative to platforms for day and night. Wear them with pencil skirts and slim pants for work, then pair with higher hemlines or full skirts for leisure.
They sure don't look as comfortable as platforms
They aren't. So think about something more modest than a skyscraper when it comes to heel height. Around the 8cm mark – like this snake-print monochrome Catherine style (pictured above, £240, kurtgeiger.com) – is doable. Unless you're a pro, save the 11cm-ers for nights out involving taxis and restaurant banquettes.
What about my cankles?
What indeed. Larger-proportioned accessories, including bags and watches, do have a slight advantage in terms of slimming your limbs. That said, there are still a few tricks available here – Raoul's lovely Sesame courts are a classic in a pleasingly leg-lengthening nude shade (£190, my-wardrobe.com).
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Snoop Dogg on why he doesn't regret displaying misogyny towards women
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...