Sartorial Ali: the newest street-style superstar is a Turkish tailor living in Berlin
Ali is a Turkish tailor living in Berlin. At 9:05am every morning, he walks past a café in which Zoe Spawton, an Australian photographer, works shifts. He dresses impeccably in a variety of suits, hats, denim, camouflage – everything – and always perfectly coordinated.
Impressed, Spawton dashed out last August to ask Ali if she could take his photo. He agreed and the pair have repeated their shoot 20 times, building up a sweet rapport and a wonderful online gallery called “What Ali Wore”.
Some high-profile tweets this week have boosted the blog’s audience. The latest photo, posted yesterday, shows Ali in a suit. “I feel as though he might have had an inkling that there would be a few more people seeing his photo today,” Spawton writes.
Despite not sharing a language, the pair have been apple picking and, during a chance encounter on a tram, Spawton learned that Ali used to be a doctor and has 18 children.
See him in all his glory at alioutfit.tumblr.com.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Turning up the voice of America
- 2 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 An obsessive’s documenting of Israeli war crimes in Lebanon can show us how the West lost respect for international law
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
£25000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitment Company...
£80000 - £100000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior C++ De...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Server Dev...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: Leading Electronic Trading Software Ven...