The Experts: The best finishing powders
I am not what anyone would call a 'morning person'; thus my daytime make-up application is minimal and efficient. One extra step I've managed to make time for, though (I'm talking seconds by the way – each one is precious at this hour), is a final flourish of finishing powder, which has the dual benefit of brightening things up and stopping my hastily-applied paint-job sliding off my face before I even make it to the office.
I used to be fearful of powders – of being left with the sort of talc-y finish beloved by Goths; clogged pores were a worry, too. But today's incarnations are not only super-fine, many are also imbued with delicate shimmer particles to create a gentle radiance that has nothing to do with running for the bus.
While the new Light Reflecting Setting Powder from Nars (£25, narscosmetics.co.uk) and Smashbox's Photoset Finishing Powder (£18, boots.com) may both seem ghoulishly pale in their packaging, they are actually translucent and will blend into most skin tones creating a soft-focus finish. And Bobbi Brown has launched Porcelain Pearl (£40, bobbibrown.co.uk), a palette of pastels which, when swirled together, creates a colour-correcting blend.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Astrological signs are almost all wrong, as movement of moon and sun throws out zodiac
The distress of some Zayn Malik fans is real, and they need support, say experts
The food fad that's starving Bolivia
Gay marriage, one year on: Couples mark first anniversary of same-sex marriages
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 3 WrestleMania 31 results: Seth Rollins stuns WWE as he cashes in Money in the Bank contract to claim title from Brock Lesnar
- 4 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: I have depression. That doesn't make me a psychopath
£32000 - £38000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant / F...
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of a mark...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides Reliabili...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of refrigeration, mechan...