The fashion experts: The best lip balms
Sometimes it seems that the world can be divided into two types of people – those who can live without lip balm and those who can't. I'm firmly in the second camp – and never more so than in the deep midwinter, when icy winds and drying central heating conspire to shred my lips.
For heavy-duty re-plumping, try a smear of Lucas' Papaw Ointment (£4.99, pawpawshop.co.uk). First invented in the early 1900s in Australia, it's something of a wonder-balm with myriad topical uses and one which no self-respecting Antipodean would be without. Of course, on these isles it's of more use soothing windburn than sunburn, but the principle is the same.
Another old-fashioned invention is Carmex (£2.65, boots.com), which was first cooked on a stovetop more than 75 years ago. Although the strong taste of camphor and menthol takes some getting used to, users crave the tingling the waxy balm provides – nothing else will do.
Nuxe's Ultra Nourishing Lip Balm (£9.50, marksandspencer.com), tested in extreme conditions in Canada, is just that; although it should be dabbed from the pot to prevent any graininess.
Life & Style blogs
Paris Fashion Week: Skirting the issue for the stylish boys' brigade
Losing appetite as you age? Try adding umami flavour to restore the 'joy of taste'
The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
SAG Awards 2015: Best and worst gowns on the red carpet
Apple stopped a fingerprint scanner from appearing in Google’s Nexus 6
- 1 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 Phil Neville backtracks on Tomas Rosicky 'I'd smash him' comments from Match of the Day 2
- 5 SAG Awards: Fake applause track interrupts Reese Witherspoon
£90 - £140 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: On behalf of a successful academy i...
£45000 - £50000 per annum: Investigo: My client, a global leader in providing ...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: WEST LONDON - An excellent new opportunity wit...
£8 - £10 per hour: Recruitment Genius: A Florist Shop Manager is required to m...